Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
max_6a

anyone hybridizing wild distant crosses or vegetables,fruit,nuts

max - 6a
23 years ago

Who is hybridizing vegetables ?? and what were your results in the past.I know the carrot family can be crossed with itself.Has anyone crossed any ?? How about cabbages and turnips, mustard, collards, kholrabi, rape,rutabagas,bok choy, kale, they say the cabbage family can all crossbreed who has done what ,and what were the results??

In Flowers I am interested in any crosses involving the "Candy lilly" that is the only cross I know of that is a cross between a lilly and an iris. can any of the following be crossed with each other ? canna lilies, gladiolas, calla lillies , daylillies, irises,Asian lilies ,tiger lillies ,Easterlilies,daffodills, Peruvian daffodills.WHat can be done without gene splicing?? don't laugh the Almond nut was crossed with the peach by Luther Burbank over 100 years ago

Comments (9)

• Jan Clark - 9
    23 years ago

Belamcanda chinensis is very closely related to Iris dichotoma (or - I think it is now called Pardanthopsis dichotoma - correct me if I am wrong)
    These are the two parents of candy lilies, and I think both are far closer to the iris family than the lily family.
    ie. both are iridacieae, and not lilacieae. The cross is not a very distant cross at all, nothing like crossing a bearded iris with an asiatic lilium.
    Almonds and peaches are rather closely related. More will be possible with gene splicing, but only if there is commercial value in the product, because of the cost.
    I do think it is worth ignoring the advice of people who tell you one thing can't be crossed with another, because if you don't try, it will never happen.
    I think someone wrote here, re daylilies only cross tets with tets and dips with dips.
    OK - you won't get too many takes crossing diploid to tetraploid, but if you dab enough pollen, you may get some interesting triploids.
    You also need to be careful that you don't convince yourself that you have a cross, when it is only a self. If you take pollen from a lilium, and put it on a bearded iris, you may very well get a pod, but they will be 100% irises, produced with iris pollen.
    My opinions entirely, and I'm always happy to be proven wrong :-)
    Oh - to answer your question - Belladonna lilies have been crossed with Clivea, and with Crinums. Again, all fairly closely related.
    Cheers, Jan, in Australia

• John - 6b/7a NJ
    23 years ago

Jan, you are correct about the parents of Pardancanda, the Candy Lily, being members of the Iris Family. In fact, both Belamcanda chinensis, and Pardanthopsis dichotoma (Iris dichotoma) were at one time placed in the same Genus, called Pardanthus. So these two are quite closely related.

Max, you mention Gladiolus. There is a bigeneric hybrid, Gladiolus x Acidanthera murielae, known as Gladidanthera, with the appearance of a Gladious and fragrance obtained from Acidanthera. However, Acidanthera has now been reclassified as Gladiolus. While the new hybrid is fragrant, it is not the typical Acidanthera perfume, but rather suggestive of Eucalyptus and Dianthus!

• Jon Dixon - Northern California
    23 years ago

The common Cala Lily has been crossed with another aroid, Alocasia odorata (or is it odora?) by the late Chet Nave. The hybrid has large white cala flowers without the good shape of a regular cala. It also has a light pleasant fragrance inherited from the alocasia.

• Eric - 5
    23 years ago

To give the wild fruits mentioned a bit of their due, I can report that while I am not myself exactly hybridizing any, I am keeping my eye of apparent natural crosses I have come across of wild red raspberry and wild black raspberry. A sufficiently "wild distant cross" for you? One of them is in too stressed a location to be judged at all until moved out into the sun and into a good growing site (it's roadside). The other is in a good enough spot to offer a sample of berries, and they are _most_ delicious, with sweet flavor of their own unique to my experience.
    I suppose this natural red and black raspberry crossing might be not so uncommon, since these two separate instances have turned up near me, even though I've found only a few small patches of wild black raspberries of which to take notice.
    Aand of course there has already apparently been considerable work done (with results such as Brandywine and Royalty purple raspberry varieties, I believe) with deliberately crossing such raspberries, But it's interesting.
    Something I presently lack to begin working with these or other plants in earnest is a suitable plot of land which I can be sure of having access to long-term.
    (sigh) ...some day. Eric

• pigeons
    21 years ago

I know the original message was posted almost to years ago...
    But I cross all my vegetables. Just to see what I get mostly. I have many squash crosses. And many, many brassica crosses. I've also crossed peppers. Bell peppers X jalapeno. Jalapeno X ornamental Thia Hot. If interested in the results, let me know.

As for brassicas. One intersting cross I made was a red indian mustard (Brassica juncea) and Chinese Cabbage (B. rapa). I mostly got empty pods with vestigial seeds. But I did get one viable seed. This bolted immediately and grew into a tall (about 4 1/2 feet) weedy looking plant. Leaves were very small and narrow and only slightly reddened. It branched heavily and flowered profusely. I only allowed other chinese cabbages and bok chois to flower at the same time and cut back any mustards that bolted. I let the bees do the work. At the end of the season, I had 13 seeds from this plant. I planted all of them the next year and they all grew. They all basically looked like mustard plants, some very red, some slightly red, and some green. I allowed them to be pollinated by other indian red mustards and and southern giant curled mustard (also B. juncea). I now have a very mixed mustard that I grow every year. They range from red through green. Some leaves have jagged edges, some have curly edges, while most are more rounded. Their seeds are bigger than typical mustard, more like B. rapa. They also cross more easily with othe B. rapas as well as B. juncea. Aproximately 25% of the seedlings have 3 or 4 seed leaves instead of 2! These for some reason are usually red.
    I once pollinated a brussel sprout from a wild winter cress just to test viability. The brussel sprout produced well developed fat seed pods but they were totally empty.
    I have many crosses including kale, kholrabi, broccoli, and/or cauliflower. I now have a strain of broccoli with white cauliflower heads that produces as early as broccoli.
    An annual kale X broccoli derivative was still growing and flowering in a pot in my yard here in N.H. until two weeks ago when I brought it into the heated greenhouse. It has been unuasually cold and into the 'teens many nights!! Two others potted next to it froze weeks before.
    Any more interest, contact andyspigeons@yahoo.com

• superseed77
    21 years ago

Yes I am interested in all of your crossbreeds .did you get my previous post . do ypou breed pigeons also?

• plants1010
    21 years ago

Pigeons, how did the Bell x Jalapeno hybrid turn out? Do you have a picture of it on the internet?
    Thanks

• boizeau
    21 years ago

I am into grape breeding and I have a hybrid of several wild species. It is Rupestris x Cordifolia crossed with Caribaea. This, in turn has been crossed with a Midwest hybrid ES 4-23-60. The resulting vine produces interesting flavored fruit. Have also used the Asiatic Vitis Coignetiae x French Hybrid vines and have a few of those growing as well.

• agrinerd
    21 years ago

I had a nice batch of Capsicum chinense x C. annuum going until an unexpected freeze took them out (just as they were setting fruit!). Will try again this year.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County