Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_711060

Gladiolus, anyone?

John - 6b/7a NJ
23 years ago

Is anyone doing any work with Gladiolus? As I mentioned on another post, some work has been done crossing Gladiolus and Acidanthera; this bigeneric hybrid was called Gladidanthera. The hybrids have the appearance of Gladiolus, but inherit some fragrance from the Acidanthera parent. This perfume is not typical of Acidanthera, however, but suggests Eucalyptus and Dianthus! I had the thought to cross this with Gladiolus tristis, another scented bloom, but without success. Acidanthera is closely related to Gladiolus, and may belong in the same Genus.

Comments (11)

• Lowell - 5WA
    23 years ago

John,

I don't know if you are a member of a gladiolus society? I belong to North America Gladiolus Council (NAGC) and I know there are many hybidizers in both the local societys and NAGC that are hybidizing glads and though most are probably crossing using hybrids there are some folks that are involved back where it all began for us. I know that if you get into NAGC you will find articles in Gladworld, the quarterly NAGC Publication, from time to time and it surely is would be easy to make contact with folks from that direction. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. I might be able to come up with a few names for you to contact.

LOWELL

• John Boggan - Washington, DC
    23 years ago

I've always thought it would be fun to breed for better cold hardiness in glads. I'm just getting back into outdoor gardening after several years of apartment and condo living, and this is one group I'm interested in.

• tanya
    23 years ago

Ancidanthera or Peacock Orchids as they r called r native to Ethopia.Their flowers look like orchids but they belong to the Gladiolus family!

• keking
    22 years ago

According to some web pages I've visited recently, Acidanthera has been reassigned to the genus Gladiolus. Sigh! Another bigeneric hybrid is lost to taxonomic revisionism.

As for Glad hybrids, a recent report from Japan reveals that temperature can play a role in reproductive isolation. The pollen of Gladiolus tristis grows its tubes fastest at 20C, but fertilization is most effective at 15C -- which is just what we should expect of a plant that is normally pollinated (in the wild) by night-flying moths. At higher temperatures, seeds can form but may need embryo rescue to produce seedlings.

• keking
    22 years ago

Here's some info on the history of Gladiolus breeding

http://www.geocities.com/fadjar_z/Geophyte/glads.htm

Karl King

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Van Fleet on Gladiolus breeding

• laurentl
    20 years ago

Hi,
    Do you know if those "gladanthera" (supposed to be hybrid gladiolus X acidanthera murielae (now Gladiolus callianthus) are somewhere available on the market?
    Do you have photos on that specie?
    Thanks

• frederico
    20 years ago

I grow them, Laurent. They are original source. They are salmon-pink with burgundy in the throat, and the fragrance is reminiscent of Dianthus and Eucalyptus. Email me if you'd like to trade.

• hairmetal4ever
    20 years ago

Frederico, do you propagate a lot of them, as in just by cormels or division? Got a pic?

• keking
    19 years ago

If anyone has a picture of a Gladanthera to share I'd love to post it to the International Bulb Society web page.

I grew one variety many years ago -- a second generation plant -- but have long since lost it.

BTW: Hybrids between tender and hardy Glads have been accomplished. Generally the hardier species are high polyploids. It is apparently easier to use a diploid (like G. tristis) or tetraploid as the seed parent with these hardy types.

Karl King
    IBS Webmaster

Here is a link that might be useful: International Bulb Society

• BrianB
    18 years ago

I'm looking for specie glads. I have several speces and a few old hybrids and am looking for more.

• orchidsrule
    15 years ago

I've read that the Acidanthera species are triploid. You were right to use G. tristis as another parent.

I've also read that Gladioli have a relative tendency to form unreduced gametes. This mean that there is a chance that your Acidanthera will produce egg cells with 3n, 45 chromosomes (this does not appear to happen in pollen). So by repeatedly crossing G. tristis (a diploid, 2n = 30) as the pollen parent with an Acidanthera you will eventually get tetraploids that will breed nicely with other tetraploids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus info