Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue__gw

Hippeastrum crosses

Sue_
21 years ago

My first cross has borne seeds! I'm writing for two reasons:

1. Does anybody have advice about starting these seeds? I've heard about the 'floating' method, and I've had some floating for almost a week now without any change...

2. I thought I'd see if anybody wants some seeds of either of my crosses. I'm open to trades of any kind really, but go ahead and check out my page/exchange list. You can also check prussell's page. She's a friend of mine, so I'm open to trades for whatever crazy stuff she's wanting now. I can then trade them to her in exchange for her buying me a beer.

I have a whole mess of seeds which are a cross between Charisma (far left in pic below) and Lemon-Lime (far right). Charisma is the mother (the cross didn't work out well the other way, mainly because the scape with the fruit fell over, and consequently aborted. In other words, it might have worked if I had staked the scape. Word to the wise.).

The pic of charisma is actually the plant in question, in my house. It doesn't really come through in the pic, but the picotee has a fantastic silky sheen. I recommend picking up this hybrid, if you should see it around. In the background, right behind the "ris" in the word "charisma," you can see one of the two fruits (the smaller) on the _first_ scape of that same plant.

This smaller fruit is a cross between Charisma and Double Record, Charisma again being the mother. I could find stamens on the Double, but no style. This fruit just split today, and there's no way to know if they'll be fertile, but go ahead and let me know if you want some of these too.

Charisma is a 'midi,' lemon-lime is identified variously as 'midi' or 'gracilis.' So those two are both on the smaller side. They each bear 4-6 blooms per scape. The double was larger, but not huge, and I think 4 per scape.

I'm going to make sure that the seeds are fertile before finalizing any trades. So let me know if you want some seeds, or if you have advice about getting them going.

This will be cross-posted in the bulbs forum.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH