Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Shade Cloth Help?

Posted by Doby z5CO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 19:10

Hi All,

I have been backyard hybridizing daylilies for about 3 years now and am becoming more and more frustrated with lack of success, be it no pods, aborted pods or very few seeds. I am wondering if putting shade cloth over my breeding stock during the summer months would help (I garden in long raised beds). Has anyone ever done this before? What percentage was the shade cloth? Did you find it affected the bloom or growth? And lastly, did it even help? LOL. I live at an altitude of nearly 5,000 feet so in the summer, the sun is hot, hot, HOT!!!
Thanks,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Shade Cloth Help?

I hybridize daylilies in Colorado also, what are you trying tets. or dips. the tets are much harder. It's not so much the sun but the temps. that affect the pod set. I pollinate early in the morning after the pollen is ready. Even at best, the success rate is only about 40% for tets. But I do find I get a little better seed set on the ones that get afternoon shade. I would try the shade cloth it can't hurt.

o
RE: Will Shade Cloth Help?

• Posted by Doby z5CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 10:10

twopoots,
I predominately do tets.. I start the morning early with taking pictures while the pollen is drying. Then I switch over to pollinating, which can take me all the way up to 10 a.m. as I have over 1,000 seedlings that I can pick and chose from. Of course much of the problem may have been that everything had been dug up and moved last spring. I posted this question on several forums and what came back was, anyone that is using shade cloth improved their seed production considerably. Guess one will go up here about the middle of June. LOL
Thanks for your response,
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here