Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtowle____5newhampshire

...Daylily Gene Pool

...If I were to start from scratch (and I may)and had as a goal the incredable ruffeling introduced by Brother Charles(and others). the vibrant statement in color of lets say Indian Paint Brush. Medium size and height. Rich Pastel colors of primarily Apricots, Peach and Mauve and the best possible Reblooming. What would I start with in the way of a 6-12 plant gene base. In other words what are the best stock plants available that offer(and pass on)these different qualities....as well as flower substance form and size..........Jim

Comments (10)

• Gardengail - 7a South NJ
    23 years ago

Hi Jim - I'm fairly new to hybridizing (my first seedlings bloomed last year) and I do spideries...so I may not be the best choice to answer your question. But I do have two in my garden that might be valuable - both are very pod fertile. One is Bro. Charles' HEAVENLY TREASURE. Fairly intense pastel polychrome, beautiful plant, fairly nice branching. Every pod set (I put tet spider pollen on it) It's not real bagel like and wants to pinch on hot days, a desirable trait to me. The other is RUFFLED DUDE. I was working last summer at Darrel Apps sales yard and this one kept drawing me to it - I would forget about it and then stop and check it out again. So finally I brought it home and put some spidery pollen on it, too. The flowers are big, round and flat with nice ruffles. Also very fertile and good plant habit/qualities. Darrel has used it a lot and I trust his judgement. I was going to post their pictures, but the Photoloft site seems to be down at present. Maybe later.
    GailE

• Jim Towle - ...5 New Hampshire
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Gail of any Daylilies I have ever seen Bro. Charles impresses me the most. He has contributed a great deal to Daylily Hybridizing. Have you seen his "Charles Dream" BC91-20 or "Angels Realm" BC89-21 offered for a $10,000.00 contribution by Song Sparrow (Klehm)Double WOW. Plant nor pollen has never been released since his death. They are fertile both ways. Heavenly Treasure is truely incredable and worthy of participation in any breeding program. I am not aquainted with Ruffeled Dude but it sounds wonderful. Do you have any fans of eather that you can spare I have Incredable Hostas to offer as trade.......Jim

• Dave Daulton 5
    23 years ago

No a direct answer to your question, but a site with some interesting observations on daylily trait inheritence is given below. BTW, if you are interested in buying their plants, I queried them last year, and they said they won't be ready to sell anything for a few years.

Dave Daulton

Here is a link that might be useful: Watson Park Daylillies

• exculery
    22 years ago

Jim,

Varieties that I can recommend that I have personally used or have seen the results of others use are: SOMETHING WONDERFUL passes on ruffles and good color, WISEST OF WIZARDS ruffles, good color and incredibly fertile, ARCTIC SNOW passes on ruffles and a good color clarifier. This year I'm going to be using AMERICA'S MOST WANTED a great deal. It has fantastic form, incredible ruffles, a gold edge and should give a variety of pastel colored kids.
    Others I will be using a lot are: TANGERINE HORSES, SIBERIAN SUMMER, ANGELUS ANGEL, LADY ARABELLA, GUINIVER'S GIFT and RASPBERRY WINTER.

Ed

• aretha
    22 years ago

Jim...well, you live in New Hampshire, so I would look for very good dormants to work with....at least mostly. There are a few good evergreens that could offer you some bells and whistles less available in the dormant gene pool. I continue to use Heavenly Treasure by Reckamp, and also his Techny Spider is nice and fringy too. Deloris Gould throws fringe if crossed to fringed daylilies, as does Jerusalem. Decatur Piecrust is another you might want to hunt down...it can give some nice fringing if crossed to fringe. Stella D'Oro is available as a tet, and I can think of no better source of good rebloom genes. For Some lovely color sources, Elegant Candy is a beautiful pink with a rose band that is sinfully pod fertile and should grow well for you. If you wanted any screaming neon colors at all, you must get South Seas...an intense coral blend that is also sinfully pod fertile. Would more likely give pastels though if crossed into them, or at least a good portion. Atlanta Fringe Benefit is another good source of fringe in crosses. I would recommend Chance Encounter and Taos as great newer things with diverse genetics for color. They are proving to be good growers all over the place, but are not the most pod fertile I've seen. Good apricots....try Apricot Jade and Janet Gordon. For lavenders, you might try Irving Shulman or Chris Salter...both of which you would want to cross only with dormants, as they are southern bred evergreens, but have some great qualities to offer a founding gene line. And if you do not mind dipping south of the Mason Dixon again, try Cherished Treasure..a gorgeous pastel cream blend of Munsons that would bring a great bud count into your line. Now lets see if my suggestions get hammered in later posts. I try to never steer a person new to daylilies in the wrong direction.

• suenh
    22 years ago

Angels Smile!!!!!!!!!
    Her seedlings all seem to have that incredible ruffling.

Check out some of the seedlings she produces. Left a link to some seedlings where you can see the pedigree.
    {{gwi:2102967}}

Some people say AS is a rotter but I have a few seedlings with her genes and so far none are whimpy. Doesn't seem to be a problem in the north

If you like spiders Reckamps Techny Spider is also producing some interesting seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: shantih

• missbecky
    21 years ago

I'm resurecting this old thread because Judy Ann was kind enough to email me the following website with very interesting info about Brother Charles Reckamp
    http://www.spiritnorthdaylilies.com

I've read thru the majority of the info presented there on Brother Charles and found it to be quite Amazing !
    "About 20 years ago, Brother Charles stopped bringing in new genes into his line. He said that it took too long to breed the bad genes out. One advantage to hybridizers is that Brother Charles' cultivars give a zip of hybrid vigor when outcrossed. "
    WOW WHAT A CONCEPT!!!! Wonder if other hybridizers do this as well??

I don't understand what an "F7 hybrid" means in the following:
    "ANGEL'S SMILE is amongst the most heavily used plants in hybridizing. It is probably the premiere northern dormant breeder. It is a very hard dormant that revels in the cold northern winters and requires a good chilling to thrive. In areas which don't permit this daylily to get the chilling it needs, I have heard it refered to as an "expensive annual". I have also heard that it revels in a greenhouse environment as long as it receives its winter chilling. Under such condtions it is said to be quite pod fertile. It is an F7 hybrid and the parentage is as follows.
    (BC 76-65 x COOLING FOUNTAIN) x Sibling

Heavenly Treasure is the only Reckamp growing in my garden now (or freezing depending on your viewpoint). I would love to acquire Angel's Smile - I'm checking now with a garden to see if it's available. And I've wanted Techny Spider and Tecnhy Peach Lace for a couple years now.

I'm going back for a re-read - thanks again Judy Ann!

Becky

• suenh
    21 years ago

missbecky,
    I know I'm seriously considering buying Angel's Smile. I'm plenty cold enough where rot isn't likely to be a problem. Not sure if I can bring myself to spend $85 on a daylily yet. To many great under $20 daylilies to play with. But for the last 2 years I keep looking at it and looking at it and slowly loosing my resolve not to spend that on a plant.

• hementia8
    21 years ago

If I lived in your zone,for bud count and heavy ruffles, I would use ENCHANTED APRIL[Trimmer 93][Teckney Peach Lace[another of Bro.Charles] x Wedding Band.It is a dormant as is it's kid MAXVILLE PARISH and MP's sib HOLLYWOOD LIGHTS which is Sev.
    I would also work in the parents of FOREST LAKE RAGAMUFFIN :LAHAINA,DECATURE PIECRUST and YUMA.

FREE TIBET[Hanson 2001][Phaedra x [Wilbur Harding x Dance Ballerina Dance]] x [Angels Smile x My Darling Clementine] would probably give you the color and bud count you want and would be a stronger parent than ANGEL'S SMILE and have Bro.Charles AS and Phaedra genes.

• woodland_gardens
    21 years ago

Anyone know of a stable variegated daylily somewhere out there? I have a variegated daylily, but it's very unstable, throwing anything from pure white fans to pure green. I haven't seen it bloom yet, but I think it's probably an orange or yellow flower. I was thinking of doing some hybridizing with it, for different flower color and/or stable variegation, but I don't want to waste my time if a stable cultivar already exists.
    Nick

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?