Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianmkerr

Hybridizing Impatiens/Hibiscus

brianmkerr
19 years ago

Hello Everyone, I'm new to site, but am interested to see if anyone has information on breeding and/or hybridizing impatiens. Attached is a shot of a seedling of mine.

I have 25 years experience hybridizing Hibiscus so know the mechanics of producing seedlings, but need to learn what is involved in doing same with impatiens.

I would appreciate any advice given or referral to sources of information on Impatiens. As well, I am more than willing to share my experiences with hybridizing hibiscus, both modern day and involving original species crosses.

On the subject of hibiscus, a recent topic involving mutations and violet light makes me wonder if anyone has any information on doing the same with hibiscus ?

Regards, Brian Kerr.

Comments (9)

• keking
    19 years ago

Brian,

I don't have much on the subject except some of Lucien Reychler's curious results from traumatic pollination of Impatiens.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Reychler: Traumatic Pollination

• brianmkerr
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Karl,
    Thanks for this site. It was excellent reading and has added much to my desire to learn more about what could be. I will apply some of the info gained to both my Hibiscus and Impatien hybridizing in the future.

Thanks again.
    Regards, Brian Kerr.

• keking
    19 years ago

Brian,

I once read an article on some difficulties with Hibiscus breeding, but don't have the source. As I recall, some species of the Hibiscus rosa-sinensis group are native to islands of very different chemical constitution. A volcanic island, for example, is very different from a coral atoll. The micronutrient (trace mineral) requirements vary among the species -- each adapting to whatever is available on its native island.

The upshot is that hybrid progeny can segregate for micronutrient requirements, which means that some will be fertile while others are sterile if the essential nutrient is not available.

William Herbert, in the mid-19th century, observed that fertility/sterility of hybrids seemed to have more to do with the similarity/difference of native habitat than with the apparent affinity of the species. That is, two aquatic species are more likely to produce fertile hybrid offspring than an aquatic and a xerophytic species.

By the way, intergeneric hybrids in the Malvaceae are known. I have a report on a hybrid of cotton (Gossypium sp.) and Alcea rosea that resulted in an early maturing strain of cotton.

I once pollinated okra (Hibiscus esculentus) by a garden form of H. rosa-sinensis and got seeds. Unfortunately, I lost the seeds when I moved from Florida to California, and have not repeated the experiment.

Karl

• brianmkerr
    Original Author
    19 years ago

HI again Karl, You are a minefield of information. This is also a great topic to follow up on. I'll share this around others hybridizers and see what we come up with. Could result in some new type/form of hibiscus.
    Thanks again. Brian Kerr.

• farmfreedom
    19 years ago

can you cross hibiscus with hollyhocks ? with okra, with cotton ? whith what then?

• brianmkerr
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Farmfreedom, As the original post, I cannot really answer this due to my lack of knowledge. I would think not possible, however Karl (Keking), may have this answer.

Thanks, Brian Kerr.

• keking
    11 years ago

I do have a paper on my web site that deals with remarkable cotton hybrids, including:
    Gossypium hirsutum x Hibiscus cannabinus
    G. hirsutum x Alcea rosea
    G. hirsutum x Hibiscus esculentus (okra)
    G. hirsutum x Hibiscus coccineus
    and others.
    Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Hybrids

• keking
    11 years ago

My web page has moved, but the articles are still there.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulb 'n' Rose

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

keking,

I'm reading your remarks on the rose hybridizers' site with great interest and growing admiration. Just want to say thank you.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz