Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing Impatiens/Hibiscus

Posted by brianmkerr S/CoastQLD Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 22:35

Hello Everyone, I'm new to site, but am interested to see if anyone has information on breeding and/or hybridizing impatiens. Attached is a shot of a seedling of mine.

I have 25 years experience hybridizing Hibiscus so know the mechanics of producing seedlings, but need to learn what is involved in doing same with impatiens.

I would appreciate any advice given or referral to sources of information on Impatiens. As well, I am more than willing to share my experiences with hybridizing hibiscus, both modern day and involving original species crosses.

On the subject of hibiscus, a recent topic involving mutations and violet light makes me wonder if anyone has any information on doing the same with hibiscus ?

Regards, Brian Kerr.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing Impatiens/Hibiscus

Brian,

I don't have much on the subject except some of Lucien Reychler's curious results from traumatic pollination of Impatiens.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Reychler: Traumatic Pollination

o

Hello Karl,
Thanks for this site. It was excellent reading and has added much to my desire to learn more about what could be. I will apply some of the info gained to both my Hibiscus and Impatien hybridizing in the future.

Thanks again.
Regards, Brian Kerr.

o

Brian,

I once read an article on some difficulties with Hibiscus breeding, but don't have the source. As I recall, some species of the Hibiscus rosa-sinensis group are native to islands of very different chemical constitution. A volcanic island, for example, is very different from a coral atoll. The micronutrient (trace mineral) requirements vary among the species -- each adapting to whatever is available on its native island.

The upshot is that hybrid progeny can segregate for micronutrient requirements, which means that some will be fertile while others are sterile if the essential nutrient is not available.

William Herbert, in the mid-19th century, observed that fertility/sterility of hybrids seemed to have more to do with the similarity/difference of native habitat than with the apparent affinity of the species. That is, two aquatic species are more likely to produce fertile hybrid offspring than an aquatic and a xerophytic species.

By the way, intergeneric hybrids in the Malvaceae are known. I have a report on a hybrid of cotton (Gossypium sp.) and Alcea rosea that resulted in an early maturing strain of cotton.

I once pollinated okra (Hibiscus esculentus) by a garden form of H. rosa-sinensis and got seeds. Unfortunately, I lost the seeds when I moved from Florida to California, and have not repeated the experiment.

Karl

o

HI again Karl, You are a minefield of information. This is also a great topic to follow up on. I'll share this around others hybridizers and see what we come up with. Could result in some new type/form of hibiscus.
Thanks again. Brian Kerr.

o

can you cross hibiscus with hollyhocks ? with okra, with cotton ? whith what then?

o

Hello Farmfreedom, As the original post, I cannot really answer this due to my lack of knowledge. I would think not possible, however Karl (Keking), may have this answer.

Thanks, Brian Kerr.

o

I do have a paper on my web site that deals with remarkable cotton hybrids, including:
Gossypium hirsutum x Hibiscus cannabinus
G. hirsutum x Alcea rosea
G. hirsutum x Hibiscus esculentus (okra)
G. hirsutum x Hibiscus coccineus
and others.
Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Hybrids

o

My web page has moved, but the articles are still there.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulb 'n' Rose

o

keking,

I'm reading your remarks on the rose hybridizers' site with great interest and growing admiration. Just want to say thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here