Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy Grail Red Pac. Giant Delphinium??

Posted by ZrocPark Z3 Ab (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 02 at 0:06

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried crossing Delphinium cardinale with pacific giants or elatums to try to get a winter hardy (zone 3) tall red delphinium? In my part of the world (Alberta) this plant would be like gold....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy Grail Red Pac. Giant Delphinium??

The "University Hybrids were developed from a cross of cardinale X nudicaule tetraploidized (with colchicine) and then crossed with elatums. Unfortunately, the red genes have been difficult to separate from less desirable characteristics.

Here is a link that might be useful: abstract

o

Another approach was a hybrid of cardinale with the yellow zalil. Colchicine, again, to double the chromosomes. Crossed with tetraploid garden types gave plants with various gorgeous shades of strawberry pink, orange and various intermediates.

Many years ago I joined the British Delphinium Society in hopes of finding some of these hybrids. The secretaty of the society had never heard of them. Then, by a wonderful coincidence, there was a picture of them in the society's annual that year.

Karl

o

The 'Red Princess' delphinium was reportedly shown at the International Flower Trade Show in 1997, but I can't find a source for it.

A double red is listed (without picture) on this web page:
http://www.roughamhallnurseries.co.uk/Delphiniums.htm

And Delphinium 'Coral Sunset' is pictured at PlantSpotters, link below.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral Sunset

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here