Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drivebytrucker

Awesome Forum!

drivebytrucker
19 years ago

I can't believe I overlooked this one on GW. I have always had a keen interest in hybridization, whether it be plant or animal. It's just very interesting to me to see the way genetics work. Anyway, I've been doing my own hybridization of N. American pitcher plants (Sarracenia) for the past several years. An interesting plant, in my opinion, to play God with. Incomplete dominance is the norm in this genus. Each seedling from a particular cross will look like some unique blend of the parents involved, even self-pollinated hybrids produce a wide range of offspring. With already a huge variety of shapes and colors available, it is certainly fun to see what new types of pitchers one can produce. The only drawback is they are so dang slow to grow. First, it takes all summer for the seed to ripen. Then, a minimum 4-6 cold stratification period. Following that, germination is pretty rapid, but the seedlings grow so slow. Plus, all seedlings look identical, regardless of species/hybrid until they get to be at least 1 year old, if grown under optimal conditions. Therefore, when you do a cross, it will be at least 2 years before you begin to see what sort of offspring you created. As annoying as that is, it's very rewarding to me. Anyway, i've had fun browsing through the first couple of pages on here, and it seems like i have many more to go through. I must get back to it. I have included a photo of a 2 yr. old hybrid seedling of mine. For those at least somewhat familiar with Sarracenia, you're unlikely to see one like this elsewhere. It has 5 species in it's background (S. leucophylla x alata) x [psittacina x (purpurea x minor)]

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Sponsored