Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing Peanuts

Posted by theodosia 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 12:19

I have an heirloom black peanut that I've been raising for a couple of years. It is tasty, and quite unusual. However, it is very small (a smaller Spanish type). I recently purchased seed for a very large Valencia type. My goal is to cross the two, and over a period of years stabilize a black peanut with larger size.

Does anyone have suggestions as to hybridizing peanuts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing Peanuts

You may want to try the" mammoth" strain of peanuts they are the largest I have seen . get Carol Depp,s book and check the legume ( peas, beans, peanut section ) for breeding instructions.
GOOD LUCK .

o
RE: Hybridizing Peanuts

It is a mistake to assume that a flower that is capable of self-pollination will always be self-pollinated. Sweetpeas can self-pollinate, but also cross.

The article linked below reports that peanut yield is increased when bees are around to help with pollination.

I would guess that Darwin's method of pollinating legumes could help:

"These trials on the Lupines, and others formerly on Sweet Peas, led me to try the following plan. I rolled up thin paper into a cylinder, rather thinner than a knitting needle. I then tied a thread tight round, and cut off the cylinder beneath the thread, so that a little pipe closed at one end or cap, about the fifth of an inch, was left. This was easily filled with pollen from the keel-petal of any desired variety, and could then be placed on the pistil and secured below the stigma by being tied with a thread. I then castrated four flower-buds of the Sweet Pea, and placed on the young stigma caps filled with pollen from another variety, and four fine pods were soon formed."

http://www.bulbnrose.org/Heredity/Darwin/DarwinPapilionaceous1866.html

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect-assisted pollination of peanuts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here