Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambal_gw

Can tetraploid plants be crossed with plants that aren't tetraplo

sambal
16 years ago

Hi. The only daylillies I have is a large clump of H.flava, and a potted tetraploid that was gifted to me. Would a cross be possible between these two plants with diferent chromozome counts? Does the chemical treatment just create extra copies of a plants existing genes? Are mutations more likely to appear in tetraploid progeny than in non-treated plants? I'm about to order more seed and would appreciate knowing what I am getting into insofar as the ability to create crosses. Thanks, Sam

Comments (3)

• maineman
    16 years ago

Sam,

That question is addressed in the Daylily Crossing and Ploidy message thread in the Daylily forum. A Daylily forum Search for "tetraploid crosses" turned up list of message threads with possible relevance.

MM

• beaufort-2006
    16 years ago

yes I have used the daylilie ice carnival which is a reg. dip with fair results on tets. Ed Murry is another one and there are others out there that are crossover plants ou.Try the forem on daylilies it gets real interesting.

• sambal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both. I have checked out the daylily forum and recommend it to anyone interested in attempting to hybridize these beautiful plants. Sam