Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aretha_gw

rambler rose breeding

aretha
22 years ago

Now for a totally different question. Does anyone dabble in rambler roses. I would just like to have a few around the yard that I can point to and say are my own creation. The problem with all rose crosses I've ever done is that only a couple seeds out of several hundred have ever germinated and then those grew to a couple sets of leaves and died. Are roses really that difficult to germinate and bring to bloom, or is it my utter inexperience that is the problem. Perhaps there is a certain type of rose that would be useful in crosses to produce ramblers that has a reputation for ease of germination? Perhaps rugosas or something. Any help would be welcome. I do like roses that grow into beastly things, so a spread of well over 10 feet is one goal. Disease resistance is a must. Fragrance would be my top goal pertaining to the actual flower itself. Color and flower form is really a case by case judgement call, just like the daylilies and iris I already hybridize.

Thanks,

Bob

Richmond, VA

Comments (4)

• joan_m
    22 years ago

Roses are more difficult to germinate than some plants. Try posting your question on the rose propagation and exchange forum. I'm sure you'll get some interesting replies--and probably a lot more questions as well.

I find rugosa seed easy to germinate, but if you want a rambler, you may want to try a diferent line of breeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose propagation and exchange

• godplant
    22 years ago

Most likely that you are trying too hard, and that you are getting too distressed about it... New Dawn, as many rose hybridizers said, is a good hybrid that produces good offspring. The only problem is that there is only one or two seeds per hip. Good news is that they are worthy and generally good. If I were you, just start collecting seeds from whatever rambler and large flower climber you are able to find and start selecting seedlings. If they die early then they weren't worth enough to grow. Disease proneness, lack of fragrance, and very thorny canes are the dominant genes in roses, so don't be discouraged about offspring that are sick and then die. Repeat blooming is a recessive gene, keep that in mind. Its common especially for ramblers. Also try to get the tiny rose "The Fairy" as it has genes from ramblers. It is very small, but lovely. I've noticed that its offspring are variable in nature as some are floribundas, some are ground covers, a tiny few are climbers. It's disease resistant too, and passes on its' genes for it. I think a cross between The Fairy and New Dawn could offer something very intresting. Alas, I won't have New Dawn for a few years. But I have The Fairy and will work with it this season. Just telling you stuff that I've heard and learned from other hybridizers as I don't have any experiance with ramblers.

• henry_kuska
    22 years ago

Use digestive enzymes on the seeds.

In addition to the link given below you may find this link interesting:
    http://jrm.library.arizona.edu/data/1951/042/6mccu.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Use of digestive enzymes to germinate rose seeds

• keking
    20 years ago

Rose seeds, particularly from the hardy species, often have a double dormancy. Try planting the seeds in damp sand and keeping them warm (greenhouse temperature) for a month or so, then chilling them (not freezing!) for another month. Then let them warm up.

'Golden Showers' seeds would probably respond to this treatment. Otherwise, if they are only chilled they are inclined to germinate the following autumn.

If you're in a hurry and don't want to mess with after-ripening and chilling, use a tender type -- Teas and Chinas -- pollinated by the hardier once-bloomer (Multiflora hybrids, for example). I once crossed the purple 'Sweet Chariot' x 'Comtesse du Cayla' (yellow/rose blend) and got a seedling with bright red flowers. You could try a yellow Tea (not Hybrid Tea) x 'Veilchenblau' or 'Rosemarie Viaud' and expect something similar, but much larger.

Karl King

Here is a link that might be useful: CybeRose

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!