Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniarose_gw

Hibiscus hybridizing

gardeniarose
18 years ago

I am doing some crosses between different varieties of hibiscus and I wanted to know how long I should leave the plastic bag over the female flower. I am only putting the bag on to keep the stigmas moist, I am not too worried about "foreign" pollen landing on them. So with respect to moisture alone, when can the bags be removed? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• farmfreedom
    18 years ago

In most cases untilo the flower dies to keep out foreign pollen . Tell me what can hibiscus be crossed with besides
    hibiscus ?

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your reply. When I wrote my original post, I'd just done a cross. Well, it worked! I harvested the seed pod on Sunday and found 11 seeds inside. I have not planted them yet. As for what to cross hibiscus with...there are other species in the Hibiscus genus that will cross with H. rosa-sinensis. H. rosa-sinensis is actually a hybrid already. I know that H. schizopetalus is another species that will readily cross with H. rosa-sinensis. The cross I did was of one H. rosa-sinensis with another of the same species, just different cultivars.

• brianmkerr
    17 years ago

Hello Gardeniarose and Farmfreedom, When conditions are right you do not have to use a bag. However, I agree a bag increases your chances, but if using plastic bags and the sun is out, be careful of not cooking the staminal column and pads. I have found aluminium foil, very carefully wrapped around the upper staminal column and stigma pads, does the job just as well and is able to reflect heat if the sun comes out.

Other species compatible with Rosa Sinesis are H.Lilliflorous, H.Arnotiannus, H.Waimea, H.Fragilis, H.Nasali(possible species), H.Cuban Variety (possible species) and a few others - names elude me, but I do know the Mallow species are not compatible and Syriacus is said to be in one book, but not in others. I have tried this cross and it will not take with Rosa Sinesis. Much more info is available on Hybridizing Hibiscus on other sites specific to hibiscus. Otherwise I'll try to help here if you have further queries.

Happy hybridizing.
    Regards, Brian Kerr.

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Brian. I just did another cross this morning and I used the aluminum foil. Seems to be a great idea. Now why didn't I think of that??

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County