Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davedaulton

Variegation true from seed?

Dave Daulton
23 years ago

Does anyone know if variegation comes true from seed? I know there is a variety of columbine whose seedlings retain its mottled leaves, but I assume that variagated daylily, variegated lilly of the valley, or anything else that sends out non-variegated shoots, actually has the variegation in the somatic (not genetic) tissue, so will not pass on the variegation to seedlings. Is that correct?

Comments (17)

• Sparaxis
    23 years ago

Variegated Iris pallida comes true to seed. It is also possible to use it in cross breeding. TRhe variegated plant needs to be the pod parent for the variegation to pass on.

• l_bilodeau_yahoo_com
    23 years ago

If you plant hundred of seeds you can got a chance to obtain
    2 or 3 variegated seed.. but the plants can't lives.. the leaves are white .. no chloroph.. no reserv..just a little part of them can live if he make choroph...
    I plant lot of seeds ..good chance..
    hendy

• zlesak_rocketmail_com
    23 years ago

It seems to be very species specific. Hendy may be referring to albino seedlings where there isn't any chlorophyll produced at all and the seedling dies. THat happens quite frequently. In daylilies if you raised selfed Stelle 'd Oro seedlings you would get about 1/4 albino seedlings. In my rose seedlings that happens too.

By variegated you probably mean plants that have both green and white/yellow sections on the leaves. For heritability it depends on how the variegation occurrs. Most plants typically have three distinct layers to the growing point. The outermost layer is called layer I, the next is Layer II and the innermost one Layer III. These layers tend to stay pretty distinct. If there is a mutation in one of the layers so that layer isn't able to make chlorophyll then the tissue that is derrived from that layer will be white or yellow. In spider plants you can find variegation with green on the outer leaf margin and white in the middle as well as white on the outer margin and green in the middle. The first example has a defective layer I and the second a chlorophyll mutant in layer II. Gametes, or sex cells typically are derrived from layer II. In the past I raised spider plant seeds from variegated plants and got either green or completely albino seedlings. To be able to have heritable variegation it should not be a mutation in just one layer of the growing point. It needs to be due to specific genes present in all the plant cells that code for coloration in different parts of the leaf that can be heritable to offspring so as not to produce albinos. Plants that variegation can be heritable include cyclamen, coleus, and some hostas.

To illustrate variegation due to mutation in certain meristem layers there is the variegated mother-in-laws tounge. The outer edge is gold. The only way to reliably propagate this one is to do divisions from naturally forming axillary or crown buds. These buds typically maintain all three layers and keeps them in tact. If you take a leaf cutting and try to grow a new adventitious bud you won't get a plant like the mother. If the bud starts from the green part you will get a whole green plant and if from the yellow part a yellow sickly plant. Sometimes a shoot can start from the border of the yellow and green, but it will be sectored and not stable.

What types of variegated plants are you interested in breeding? For some plants there isn't much information so the easiest thing to do is raise some open pollinated seed and see if you get some variegated seedlings.

Sincerely,
    David

• l_bilodeau_yahoo_com
    23 years ago

for this year I want used Syringa Vulgaris Dappled Dawn
    to cross all of my lilac (9-10)...this lilac is variegated
    and it's beautiful..
    Hendy

• ddaulton_columbus_rr_com
    23 years ago

David:

I am wanting to cross Convallaria majalis 'Albostriata.
    There is a thumbnail at the link, below. You click the thumbnail for a better view.

Thanks

Dave D.

Here is a link that might be useful: Convallaria

• samercurio_pinoycentral_com
    22 years ago

Does anyone who can explain some causes of variegations in plants? What I've known is that some variegation in leaves and flowers are caused by some bacteria that attacked the particular plant ( helpful not distructive).

Thanks a lot.

• tom_wagner
    22 years ago

Some variegated plants may originate as random seedlings or as mutants on an all-green plant. Also, some variegated leaves are caused by a harmless virus. In potatoes and tomatoes, one can see various variegated leaf colors caused by harmful viral agents.

It can be noted that plants with variegated leaves - white or cream mixed with the green - such as the dieffenbachia are usually good for low-light conditions. It is said that in house plants, variegated plants have less chlorophyll so they need less light. I don't know for sure about that, however.

Variegated corn and tomatoes have special genes that express themselves in subtle ways. The plants are usually smaller and need more light since it has less chlorophyll, but can be "burned" by too much sunlight.

Variegated foliage has occurred for millions of years, often selected against in nature and inherited in small numbers in the progeny.

Cycas revoluta has some great variegated forms and can be seen in photos on Internet searches. Airplane plants are are great example of variegation, either in propogation asexually or by seedlings, as I have lots of experience here.

In conclusion, we may not know the exact cause of every case of variegation, some may be mutants, environmentally induced, etc., but it is a fun study to pursue.

Tom

• jond_value_net
    22 years ago

It would be interesting to make a list of all the genera that do breed variegation. In gesneriads, the first extensive breeding was with African Violets. When first discovered the variegation was very rare and leaves of variegates were very expensive. But, they found that they breed. Now there are countless variegated AV's In the past few years two variegated clones of streptocarpus were found and crossed. Several people are now busy with these progeny, which are also variegated. Basically the variegation on streps is all the same--a blotchy mix of green, cream and inbetween shades. I don't find them that pretty.

I once had a talk with the owner of a large pelargonium nursery who told me he was breeding variegated zonal geraniums. He said he was getting about a quarter of the seedlings to be variegated. But, I don't know if any of his cvs were introduced. That was back in the late 70's.

• marbree
    22 years ago

I found this link when I was looking for information on variegated roses. It's general, but I hope it applies.

Marbree

Here is a link that might be useful: Extranuclear inheritance - - Section C - Organelle inheritance

• l_bilodeau_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

this summer I found a little red oak ..the leaves have two colors..dark green and green-white.. about half and half..
    it's very pretty...I never see that before on my oaks..Can you explain that..I keep a leaf..
    Hendy

• broke12y_oldgardener
    22 years ago

david, you are such a lyer!!
    variagated spider plants almost ALWAYS come true from seed.
    i know this from five years of growing spider plants[almost half of my life!!]

• kevins_choice
    22 years ago

i have a verigated atlantic giant pumpkin but it may grow out and at least 6 verigated weeds and have had some spider verigated rose. the rose was very attractive.

• kevins_choice
    22 years ago

i have a picture of a verigated weed and i will try to post it. i have many others and i may post them later the, normal weed is also outlined . i will soon try to verigate some perenial flowers soon. kevin.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Kiwilass
    21 years ago

Hi

This is a very interesting subject!
    So far, from my crossing with variegated African Violets, most seem to be variegated. I have used the variegated plant as the Mother as I knew this would increase my chances.
    I have 6 variegated Strep plants all with different shades of bloom colour and I am Hoping that these will give variegated plants when crossed, or Selfed. These variegated Streps will need to be the Mother as well to increase chances of variegated babies.
    What fun!

• Rosa
    21 years ago

Verigated houseplants generally take/need more light as their ability to produce chlorophyll is reduced.

• kevins_choice
    21 years ago

some plants can be made verigated using chemicals as i found out accidently and the plants seem to produce verigated seedlings.

• Rebecca Pubben
    2 years ago

i have planted around 15 native swamp flax and 1 has come up white and is growing well, only now i think its albino! should this die when summer returns?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor