Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pardancanda

Hibiscus

Pardancanda
23 years ago

Would anyone like to share any of their experiences in hybridizing Hibiscus? John

Comments (6)

• thesillSTOPTHESPAM_yahoo_nospam_com
    23 years ago

John, are you asking about Hibiscus rosa sinensis, Tropical Hibiscus? If so, you may want to consider joining the tropical hibiscus mail list that is run in conjunction with the American Hibiscus Society and the two Australian hibiscus organizations. Check it out at the link attached (and check out the other sections at the Tropical Hibiscus informational website).

- Rob, chicago (member American Hibiscus Society)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Hibiscus Mail List Info

• Pardancanda
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Hi Rob, thanks for the interesting link. My main interest is in the perennial hardy Hibiscus, including H. moscheutos and other species including grandiflorus and coccineus;also Hibiscus syriacus. Anyone hybridizing these?

• tsflowers
    22 years ago

I see not much response has been made to this post. I'm also looking for information on hybridizing Hibiscus syriacus. Are there sterile varieties? I grow a lovely double pink flowered version and it doesn't seem to set seed. I ordered a plant called 'Helene' which is large white flower with red center. It set seed, but someone told me it was supposed to be sterile. ?? I also have a double flowered white variety with red center, and I was hoping on crossing these 3. I tried hand pollinating several of the double-pink flowered ones, but didn't see one formed seed pod.

• bearcanyon
    22 years ago

I have cross pollinated several different colored ones but have not yet had the offspring bloom. I have heard that bluebird produces pink offspring. I get seed pods on my doubles, but the numbers are substantially lower. The bees pretty much pollinate them for me.

• keking
    22 years ago

The triploid varieties are preferred for landscaping because the ordinary diploids are TOO fertile, and the seedlings come up everywhere. Someone should come up with triploid Albizzias, Elms and Black Locusts -- nice trees but the seedlings are a pain.

I'd use pollen from the triploids on diploids. It works with roses.

Karl

• tacapollo
    20 years ago

I tried this question at the American Hibiscus society, but got no response. Maybe someone here can answer my question:

I have tropical hibiscus (that don't form seed pods). This summer I set my double red outside beside my double white and got a flower on my red hibiscus that was double red with a white swirl in the center.
    Although that bloom has already dropped, for future reference, is there a way that I could have air-layered that branch right behind that bloom (maybe keeping all new blooms from growing on that stem until it has been sucessfullly removed)to get a plant with this new bloom? If not, how do you cross the non-seeding varieties?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Terry