Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Named Plants

Posted by nzbeginner (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 3:51

Hi all, I was just wondering if I was to buy crossed seeds of daylilies, calla's, etc. which were crossed from named plants would those then be considered named for purposes such as plant exchanges? Thanks all.
Robi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Named Plants

No. Each seed from a cross will be different from their father and their mother, and they will all be different in between them as well. All these plants will be nameless unles you give them a name or register them when this possibilty exist for the genus involved.

Or what you can do, if you do know what the parents were, you could give them a temporary name using the parents' names, mother first. For example, if you know that the father was let's say "B" and the mother "F", you could use hemerocallis (if that is the case), hemerocallis (F x B) for all the seeds from these both parents provided the mother and the father are the same. A reverse cross using the same parent would be name the opposite way, mother is always first. Hope this helps a bit!

Laurier
My web site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here