Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflowers x african violets?

Posted by RTinFL 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 03 at 5:34

I pretty much drank my way through the first 2 years of college, after which I dropped out. So I would say I am pretty far from being a botanist. I never ever could imagined the fun that could be had with just plain old gardening. I wish I had gone back to school...maybe I will sometime.

Anyway, my question is about the sunflower and the african violet. Is there any way they could match up? I will be returning to florida soon and I will be starting up a container garden and I think I want to try some annuals out first.

On another unrelated note: I am also looking for a fruit salad tree with lemons, limes, oranges and tangerines. If anyone happens to have a line on one of those, please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflowers x african violets?

Ok, I'm feeling rather stupid right now. What I MEANT was African Daisys, or Gerber daisys, NOT african violets. sorry about that, I would have been better understood, however there was a problem that existed between the chair and the keyboard that needed sorting out.

o

You can graft citrus onto the same tree yourself tangerines , oranges , kumquats , pomeloes,uglis , grapefruits ,lemons and limes can all be grafted on the same tree. Check the nurseries that offer citrus trees see what they have. good luck

o

Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus) and Gerberas (Gerbera jamesonii cvs.) belong to the same family (Compositae). It is quite difficult to cross the two of them since they are not related by genus. However, some plant species like orchids have been successfully bred intergenerically (different genuses) like Vanda x Arachis = Aranda.
It may or may not be possible to breed the two (probably a small chance in having success).

o

Sorry, that's Arachnis not Arachis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here