Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brassica Hybrid to Share

Posted by theodosia 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:26

1. I overwintered Georgia Collards and unnamed variety of Brussels Sprouts. They bloomed heavily in isolation from any other blooming members of Brassica oleracea and the bees worked them heavily. I harvested the seed from both plants.
2. About ten feet away was an entire row of blooming Seven Top Turnips (Brassica rapa). I know that cross is possible, but probably not as likely as the one within the same species.
3. I understand that most Brassica oleracea is self-incompatible. That being the case, it seems likely that many, if not most, of these seeds will be hybrids.
4. Whatever grows from these seeds will be, at the very least, something interesting to watch, and an edible green, if nothing else.
I'm not sure if trading is allowed on this site, but would be willing to trade some of these for something you might have. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brassica Hybrid to Share

thats cool. im interested in crossing a purple peacock broccoli [(which is a red russian kale x green goliath broccoli) (picture below) (in my opinion the head is small and loose but is ok for only being half broccoli. i can see why the parent had to be green goliath. it says on sites that it has plenty of side shoots at least.)] with some other type of broccoli or something. im really interested in making a late bolting broccoli for here in central florida by crossing a heirloom huge head broccoli with a collard.

This guy http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/kalards-a-kale-collard-cabbage-cross/
claims/thinks and has a picture of a green glaze collard (which is already a collard x cabbage hybrid) x "dragon" kale. What do you guys think? also theodosia im down to trade seeds with you.

o

spez718, I will gladly send you some seed, or trade with you, but don't find your email address or trade list on your page.

o

my email is nycr@yahoo.com. sorry im kind of new to this site and will put up my email and make a trading list. i just ordered some purple peacock in the mail becuase i just found out about it so i dont got those seeds yet. but as soon as i do i will trade some of them if you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here