Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandank

Flower or Plant for Science Fair Project

jandank
15 years ago

I am looking for suggestions for a plant, preferably a flower, which could be used for an elementary school science fair project.

The project would be essentially to demonstrate Mendellian Gentics -- i.e. autosomal dominance and recessive genetic traits -- using an easy to grow and cross pollinate plant.

Essentially show what Mendel showed with his peas.

It would need to be an easy to grow plant for an elementary school child. If we could plant the parental generation this spring, and then collect seeds and replant in the summer so that we could produce the second generation before the end of the growing season.

We would be looking for a trait (such as flower color) that is controlled by a single gene to make this a project comprehensible to an elementary age child.

Peas are the obvious first choice, because that is what Mendel himself did. So we would like to do this with some other flower or plant.

I was wondering if Nasturtium flowers would work for such a project? Does anybody know anything about the genetics of Nasturtium flower that could guide me?

Any other plants (we live in Western Washington State) or flower suggestions are welcomed.

My daughter and I thank your help in advanceÂ.

Comments (6)