Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mutants

Posted by unorthodox 10 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 04 at 17:42

I heard when cross breeding there is a rare chance of getting a "mutant" wich is a uniquely colored plant that has no pollen or seeds. Is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mutants

That is a very limited use of the word mutant. But yes, you can get that.
Hybrids with no pollen or seeds are common, when crossing species. Hybrids with unique color are also common in hybrids, interspecific or within a species.
But true mutations are more frequent in interspecific hybrids than in either parental species. This is due in part to chromosomes not pairing just right and breaking and re-fusing, with a loss or duplication fo a part of a chromosome. There are probably other mechinisms for mutating hybrids, this is just one.

o

I just attended a gardening class that explained mutations. The instructor talked about the work that was done years ago in a monistary that produced a 3 to 1 ratio for genes in peas. As in, if you cross tall pea with short peas you get some short and some tall--but no medium size. hyridizing is a seperation of genes, not a mixing of them. Hard to explain--but what he said about mutants--that cosmic energy which is picked up as ticks by a giger counter--and passes through everything because it is so small, needs to hit the nuculeus of a developing seed atom-which is 18,000 for the minus of a centimeter-to change its DNA. Or some people change DNA with chemicals. So even with us hybridizing, some things are just left to chance.

o

• Posted by hendy USDA zone (My Page) on
    Tue, May 11, 04 at 15:18

Look this...
http://www.geocities.com/kingke.geo/Heredity/ANOMALY.HTM
hendy

o

I have just been watching a TV programme which suggests that every human individual is a "mutant" from the norm. or average in some way or other. Surely the same is true of plants other than those created by vegetative propagation which are obviously biologically indistinguishable from their origin plant.?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here