Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Store bought pepper cross?

Posted by Taneedley (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:04

I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds from store bought fruit/ veggies such as peppers and tomatoes, plant them along with some seeds from the local green house also peppers or tomatoes, I am hoping that for example the pepper plant that came from the store bought produce will pollinate the pepper plant that came from the store bought seed, and when I harvest those peppers the seed from them will create another variety of pepper. Is this possible? I am not going for perfection, I just think that I might be able to create something after a few years that is something to be proud of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Store bought pepper cross?

Tomatoes tend to self-pollinate, and you won't get many crosses. Peppers are more likely to cross with others.

PROBLEM: Those you do get will tend to be "mutts" ... the traits of the purebred parents will not necessarily show up in the offspring, and you will waste garden space on them growing them out to see what happened.

If you want to hybridize vegetables, study genetics first and figure out what you want to do. Then learn to pollinate each kind of plant and keep meticulous records. Accept the necessity of culling 90-99% of your seedlings because they don't have what you were looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here