Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambal_gw

How do I try to stablize an F1 or F2 cross?

sambal
15 years ago

I had two delphiniums that were open pollinated last season they are from a Pacific Giant Mix seed packet. I had no other delphs. The two plants appeared identical. Out of the 30+ babies there is one that has variegated leaves. I suspected this was due to a virus and the little plant would die. However, it now has two variegated leaves, a new one emerging from the center and a new stalk coming up. I suspect that the new stalk will be all green, but the little guy seems to be doing very well. My question is, if the variegated plant survives, how do I preserve it? Do I need to try and grow it out this season and then take stool cuttings? What about gathering seed? I don't know that option would do anything to keep the variegation going? What in the world can I do to preserve it? Any HELP would be greatly appreciated. Also, if it blooms, can I cross with anything to try and see if I get some interesting results? I have the same situation with one columbine and three hostas....not the variegation, but a new color in one casae, and a tremendous difference in size in the other. I just can't believe I've been that lucky. CAn someone put my feet back on the ground? I just don't know what to do with these extremely differnt seedlings. Thanks SO much, SAM

Comments (2)