Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandelions

Posted by Taraxacum New York (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 1:02

Since I was a kid, I thought it was sort of novel to collect dandelion seeds while I was abroad and bring them back to the States and try to grow them. For whatever reason, it never worked until this year. I procured seeds from both Egypt and the Netherlands and both sets have sprouted.

I'm wondering how to tell what species they are - whether they're T. officinale or something else. The other dandelions around where I collected the seeds in Egypt seemed less fluffy than those in the Netherlands.

Also, I've read a lot about dandelions reproducing asexually and am wondering if that means it's impossible to cross my Dutch dandelions with my Egyptian ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dandelions

What is your goal with crossing? If your plants made seeds, then they were more than likely produced sexually (from pollination). You'll be the envy of all your neighbors-starting drought-resistant dandelions! I just got a bag of seeds from Penn. dandelions. I'm hoping to grow them for salad greens here in Fla. We don't really have dandelions as I knew them from up your way; we do have a wimpy little one,kind of like it. Whenever I ordered "dandelion" seeds online, I always grew out blue flowered chicory, bur that's not what I wanted. Paul, Riverview, Fl.

o

The plant usually referred to as a Dandelion (Taraxacum official) does not reproduce sexually. Pollen is however required to trigger the production of parthogenic (asexual) seeds.

As a result, breeding experiments with them are very much unlikely to produce any interesting results... however, Dandelion clonal lines from different environments will have been selected for different growth characteristics which can make the project of collecting them from different places an interesting project.

The blue-flowered variety sounds more like Chicory (Chicorum intybus)

o

Thanks for your responses. Duly noted. I think that at least one of them may not be Taraxacum officinale, but not sure. I guess I'll find out!

o

I am growing French Dandelions "Thick Leaved". I want to let one or two flowers go to seed.
But I am afraid it will cross with the regular lawn dandelions in the yard next door. From what xenoblep just wrote, maybe I don't have to worry about that?
Is it possible that French dandelions will only produce French dandelion seeds? Or will they cross pollinate with regular lawn dandelions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here