Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gender bending

Posted by Absent (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 03 at 4:23

I was reading with some intrigue how all female varieties of cucumber are produced - basicaly to get the seeds to produce all females, a dioecous strain is grown and a female plant treated with one of a number of chemicals - silver nitrate seems about the simplest.
This blocks ethylene production in the plant and stimulates the production of male flowers which are then used to pollenate other female plants producing seed that is geneticaly all female.

I was wondering if there is a limit to this process - if I was to treat one of my own all female strains like the bimbostar, presumably it wouls still be capable of producing pollen and fertilising more plants - or are these these plants now somehow 'defective' so the process won't work a second time.

I was also wondering what on earth stimulates fruit production in an all female strain since unlike some of the seedless melon varities no males - even sterile ones are around,
Absent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gender bending

Hi Absent,

I don't think there will be a problem. I've seen female cukes produced for generations with the use of silver nitrate. One chemical-free way I've seen to produce males on female cucurbits is to grow a few in pots, then keep them pot-bound, dry and underfed to stress them out. This seems to force male flowering as a survival mechanism. You can then use these as pollinators for the ones that you didn't put under stress.

o
RE: Gender bending

thanks,
I've mixed up a batch of silver thiosulphate, time to try it out on evrything including the hops,
Absent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here