Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Congo Watermelon and Sangria Watermelon hybrid

Posted by Beckerjeremey101 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 5:20

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and the whole hybridizing thing, but it has always interested me, so I'm finally going to play mad scientist and do some experimenting with watermelons. My main questions are:
1. Is it better to cross the Congo x Sangria, Sangria x Congo, or both simultaneously?

2. Once I do the cross(es), and I plant the seeds next season, will the two plants produce identical melons, or will each watermelon on each plant be unique with a different set of genes?

3. If I have both of the new hybrids in close proximity of each other and they pollenate one another, will it strengthen the hybrids' genes or will it change it again to a completely new hybrid?

4. For example, If I like the Sangria x Congo cross and I want to strengthen that line, making it into a new variety of watermelon, do I let the male flowers on that particular plant pollenate the female flowers on the same plant or do I have to have two of the same parent plants to strengthen the line?

5. What happens if I take the hybrid and re-cross it with one of the parent plant varieties? For example, I take the Sangria x Congo cross and re-cross it with another Congo watermelon variety.

To Sum it up, if I like the one or both of the new hybrids, I want to turn it/them into an Heirloom variety.
Sorry for all the questions, but I am extremely fascinated and intrigued with the whole concept of creating the new "NOW" watermelon. I do realize that I could probably create the worst watermelon ever created too. If you think you can assist, please don't hesitate to post or you can email me at Beckerjeremey101@gmail.com.

Thank you very much in advance everybody for your advice and assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Congo Watermelon and Sangria Watermelon hybrid

wow..lots of questions! You need to read a basic book on hybridizing...you need a goal, too..
First..when you cross 2 plants, no telling what you'll get..plant them out and cull the weak and plants that don't have what you're looking for.
2. No..they will not produce identical melons, but generally..may make your crosses stronger..but not stable..they are two different things.
3. New hybrids
4. read up on "inbreeding depression"
Buy yourself a good book on hybridizing!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here