Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Cherry x English Laurel ?

Posted by hoopus WA 8A (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 02 at 10:18

I have a pretty unusual English Cherry Laurel in the yard that has decent fruit. Wondered if anyone ever tried to cross it with a domestic sweet cherry and if they are compatible. Would sure be a fantastic plant---an evergreen sweet cherry tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Cherry x English Laurel ?

Cherry Laurel "cherries" are poisonous, though!
I ate 2 of them & nothing happened, but since then, I read that they are definitely poisonous if you ingest enough of them.

Anyone want Cherry Laurel seeds? Just email me, and send a self-addressed-stamped-envelope (SASE). I have tons.

o

Is cherry laurel in the genus Prunus? I was thinking it was. Not that all Prunus must be non-toxic, but if it is, they might cross, as hoopus asked. If not, then likely they wouldn't cross.
Walter

o

Prunus laurocerasus.
If anyone could hybridize it with an edible, deciduous Prunus, that would be very interesting. Maybe it would have medicinal value, even.

o

I'm not sure how easily cherries from the groups that produce fruit on racemes would cross with those that produce fruit in clusters the way sweet cherries do. It's certainly worth an attempt, but I wouldn't expect much. You might see better results using laurocerasus with something like Prunus serotina, virginiana, or padus - but even then, I'm not sure the relationships are close enough to allow hybridization. You never know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here