Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

My New Coneflowers

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

Here is my first cone flower cross that is blooming. It is a Tennessee Coneflower with two-tone blooms. The white around the center of the cone makes these beautiful. I am going to multiply this sucker like crazy! Do you like it? I will post my other blooming plants as they open.

Comments (23)

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is my first completely quilled coneflower. I've never seen one like it before. There is a quilled coneflower available, but this one is completely quilled like a Henry Eilers Rudbeckia.

RE: My New Coneflowers

This is very very cool!

I would appreciate your posting of other blooms, Echinaceamaniac!

2 More!

Today I have 2 coneflowers to post. I'm really happy with them. One is a dwarf variety which only grows to 14 inches tall with extra large strawberry pink blooms and brightly colored cones. The other is a great white bloomer with perfect blooms which have an enormous cone and over 30 petals which are all ribbon tipped. The petals also don't droop. Check them out...

Echinaceamaniac, this very cool! Do you manually cross them, or do you just let them cross pollinate naturally and watch for new flower shapes each year?

Dave - I do both. I've noticed some interesting things though by letting them do it naturally too. I have one cross I did last year of Tennessee coneflowers that is very interesting. The plants look like 2-3 years old already (They are 6 months old) and are going to have 6-8 blooms on each stalk. The blooms are opening within a week. I'll post a picture of them then, but these are important for you to see the entire plant too. It's a new type of plant shape in my opinion. They are very unusual.

My latest bloom!

This one is bizarre. I have had it for 2 years. It barely gets a foot tall. It's probably the strangest echinacea I've ever grown...

{{gwi:244481}}

Echinaceamaniac, how long does it take coneflowers to bloom from seeds? Say if I make a cross this year, sow the seed right after the harvest, will I be able to see flowers next year?

Thanks.

EM,

You left out a ">" on the HTML for your strange, short specimen. This is the picture you meant to show, magnified some.

It really is an odd one. Are you saving seeds from it?

MM

Oops!

EM,

OK, now your picture shows. Were you able to edit your message (impossible as far as I know), or did the GardenWeb people fix it, or was I just "seeing things"?

MM

MM, you were probably "seeing things" as I was able to see that picture since the first day it was posted. :-)

maineman,

This plant is completely sterile as far as I can tell. I'm going to watch it again this year. I have it separated from the other plants just in case some disease is causing this weirdness. I've shown it to several "experts" and can't seem to find a 100% answer. I don't really like it that much, but it is so bizarre. The leaves are very green and it looks healhy to me. I have no idea what's up with it!

Dave: Mine bloomed within 6-7 monts. Some crosses of Tennessee Coneflower or Pallida take a full year and won't bloom their first season, but some do. It all has to do wih how close they are to E. Purpurea. The closer they are in relation to it, the quicker they bloom.

EM,

Just for kicks, you could try taking a few cuttings from the sterile specimen in case some environmental condition might cause it to become fertile. I have noticed some odd changes in zinnias that I propagated from cuttings.

MM

I was noticing changes in the purple coneflowers in my garden which seem to have planted several years ago (maybe 10) and thought perhaps that the parent flowers were aging and the seed wasn't very good any more, when I deadhead I sprinkle the heads about. However, in the same area black eyed susans also grow? Is this natural cross pollination? Some are spikey like shown above, some are still purplish, but others more white. One plant doesn't seem to have petals at all. 10 feet away is a lone coneflower that is about 6 inches tall with very full flowers and nicely formed petals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Violet

I love these new flowers they are so cool!I would love to see more pictures posted if you have any ?I am trying to collect all the new hybrids and am growing some new ones started from their seed!I have one that looks just like pink poodle the new one I have also seen it called double trouble but I don't think it has been released yet!I love the new hot papaya also and cant wait to get it!

Here's my favorite one. It's double, but the cone still shows through the entire time to give it a softer look in the middle. It has 9 blooms very compact plants less than a foot tall. The petals are so white and they don't droop.

{{gwi:264183}}{{gwi:256948}}Here's a red one with an almost black cone. It's only about a foot tall too...

{{gwi:206375}}This one is a peachy color now, but it starts off reddish orange with red and gold streaks in it. Notice how many blooms are on a single bloom stalk. It looks like a bouquet. See below for a picture of the bloom before it opened completely. This one has more fragrance than any other coneflower I've grown. It smells like roses.

{{gwi:206373}}{{gwi:206377}}

Ooh! I really like that. It's beautiful.

wow! do you trade seeds of any of these nubies? lisa
    direct email-herrinl@aol.com

Oh yeah I like the peach/red. very nice.

Some of the pictures earlier in this message thread seem to be missing. I hope that isn't just my browser failing to pick them up.

ZM

I have a new coneflower, too! It's an accidental cross of a standard purple and an Orange Meadowbrite, with completely quilled petals that are purple on the outside and orange on the INSIDE of the quill. It's fragrant, too. When the first flower bloomed, I thought it was just a sport, but all the blooms on the plant are the same. I've heard the seeds don't always come back the same, on crosses with hybrids, so I'm going to try to divide it after it gets a little bigger. It's growing in a semi-shady spot-- it planted itself. Does anyone think I should move it this year?
    I have to figure out how to post a picture.

RE: pictures

Some of the previous pictures are missing for me, too. I'm browsing with Mozilla Firefox.

I'm browsing with Mozilla Firefox too. I see missing pictures on Jun 16, 08, Jul 3, 08, and one missing picture on Aug 13, 08. The flowers are perennials, but apparently their pictures are annuals. (grin)

ZM

I have only planted purple ones but now have white, purple, pink and almost no petal one that has a green center.

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Hybridizing Forum

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

This is my first completely quilled coneflower. I've never seen one like it before. There is a quilled coneflower available, but this one is completely quilled like a Henry Eilers Rudbeckia.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is very very cool!

I would appreciate your posting of other blooms, Echinaceamaniac!

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

Today I have 2 coneflowers to post. I'm really happy with them. One is a dwarf variety which only grows to 14 inches tall with extra large strawberry pink blooms and brightly colored cones. The other is a great white bloomer with perfect blooms which have an enormous cone and over 30 petals which are all ribbon tipped. The petals also don't droop. Check them out...

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Echinaceamaniac, this very cool! Do you manually cross them, or do you just let them cross pollinate naturally and watch for new flower shapes each year?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave - I do both. I've noticed some interesting things though by letting them do it naturally too. I have one cross I did last year of Tennessee coneflowers that is very interesting. The plants look like 2-3 years old already (They are 6 months old) and are going to have 6-8 blooms on each stalk. The blooms are opening within a week. I'll post a picture of them then, but these are important for you to see the entire plant too. It's a new type of plant shape in my opinion. They are very unusual.

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

This one is bizarre. I have had it for 2 years. It barely gets a foot tall. It's probably the strangest echinacea I've ever grown...

• maineman
    15 years ago

Echinaceamaniac, how long does it take coneflowers to bloom from seeds? Say if I make a cross this year, sow the seed right after the harvest, will I be able to see flowers next year?

Thanks.

• maineman
    15 years ago

EM,

You left out a ">" on the HTML for your strange, short specimen. This is the picture you meant to show, magnified some.

It really is an odd one. Are you saving seeds from it?

MM

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

EM,

OK, now your picture shows. Were you able to edit your message (impossible as far as I know), or did the GardenWeb people fix it, or was I just "seeing things"?

MM

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MM, you were probably "seeing things" as I was able to see that picture since the first day it was posted. :-)

• maineman
    15 years ago

maineman,

This plant is completely sterile as far as I can tell. I'm going to watch it again this year. I have it separated from the other plants just in case some disease is causing this weirdness. I've shown it to several "experts" and can't seem to find a 100% answer. I don't really like it that much, but it is so bizarre. The leaves are very green and it looks healhy to me. I have no idea what's up with it!

Dave: Mine bloomed within 6-7 monts. Some crosses of Tennessee Coneflower or Pallida take a full year and won't bloom their first season, but some do. It all has to do wih how close they are to E. Purpurea. The closer they are in relation to it, the quicker they bloom.

• jacqueline_lyding
    15 years ago

EM,

Just for kicks, you could try taking a few cuttings from the sterile specimen in case some environmental condition might cause it to become fertile. I have noticed some odd changes in zinnias that I propagated from cuttings.

MM

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Violet

• kyle72
    15 years ago

I was noticing changes in the purple coneflowers in my garden which seem to have planted several years ago (maybe 10) and thought perhaps that the parent flowers were aging and the seed wasn't very good any more, when I deadhead I sprinkle the heads about. However, in the same area black eyed susans also grow? Is this natural cross pollination? Some are spikey like shown above, some are still purplish, but others more white. One plant doesn't seem to have petals at all. 10 feet away is a lone coneflower that is about 6 inches tall with very full flowers and nicely formed petals.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love these new flowers they are so cool!I would love to see more pictures posted if you have any ?I am trying to collect all the new hybrids and am growing some new ones started from their seed!I have one that looks just like pink poodle the new one I have also seen it called double trouble but I don't think it has been released yet!I love the new hot papaya also and cant wait to get it!

• tnangela
    15 years ago

Here's my favorite one. It's double, but the cone still shows through the entire time to give it a softer look in the middle. It has 9 blooms very compact plants less than a foot tall. The petals are so white and they don't droop.

{{gwi:264183}}{{gwi:256948}}Here's a red one with an almost black cone. It's only about a foot tall too...

{{gwi:206375}}This one is a peachy color now, but it starts off reddish orange with red and gold streaks in it. Notice how many blooms are on a single bloom stalk. It looks like a bouquet. See below for a picture of the bloom before it opened completely. This one has more fragrance than any other coneflower I've grown. It smells like roses.

{{gwi:206373}}{{gwi:206377}}

• naturenut
    14 years ago

Ooh! I really like that. It's beautiful.

• tnangela
    14 years ago

wow! do you trade seeds of any of these nubies? lisa
    direct email-herrinl@aol.com

• zen_man
    14 years ago

Oh yeah I like the peach/red. very nice.

• sabrtooth1
    14 years ago

Some of the pictures earlier in this message thread seem to be missing. I hope that isn't just my browser failing to pick them up.

ZM

• sabrtooth1
    14 years ago

I have a new coneflower, too! It's an accidental cross of a standard purple and an Orange Meadowbrite, with completely quilled petals that are purple on the outside and orange on the INSIDE of the quill. It's fragrant, too. When the first flower bloomed, I thought it was just a sport, but all the blooms on the plant are the same. I've heard the seeds don't always come back the same, on crosses with hybrids, so I'm going to try to divide it after it gets a little bigger. It's growing in a semi-shady spot-- it planted itself. Does anyone think I should move it this year?
    I have to figure out how to post a picture.

• zen_man
    14 years ago

Some of the previous pictures are missing for me, too. I'm browsing with Mozilla Firefox.

• postal_blonde
    14 years ago

I'm browsing with Mozilla Firefox too. I see missing pictures on Jun 16, 08, Jul 3, 08, and one missing picture on Aug 13, 08. The flowers are perennials, but apparently their pictures are annuals. (grin)

ZM