Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can Parks candy lilies be crosed with ?

Posted by farmfreedom (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 12:06

besides the blackberry lily which was formerly classified an iris . could the candy lilies be crossed with both iris and lilies of any kind? especially day lilies and iris , gladiolas and amarillis ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can Parks candy lilies be crosed with ?

According to recent DNA studies, the closest relatives of Iris (Pardanthopsis) dichotoma and Iris domestica (AKA Belamcanda chinensis) are probably the bearded irises (including both eupogons and arils.)

o

Thank You very much can they cross with lilies also .

o

As mentioned above, these are the plants from crossing Pardanthopsis(formerly Iris) dichotoma and Iris domestica (formerly Belamcanda chinensis). These parent plants are commonly called 'Vesper Iris' and 'Blackberry Lily' respectively. It is unfortunate in my mind that almost all of the plants available have nearly totally lost the iris form and only resemble more vigorous and colorful blackberry lilies. In my opinion, a profitable goal would be back-crossing again to the vesper iris to regain some of this form with the vigor and sunny colors of the blackberry lily.

The chronosome count of these plants does not match any other common member of the iris group, so out-crossing would be highly unlikely to succeed.

George

o

Right George. And they are in different sections from the more common iris species. Inter-sectional crosses are generally dificult in the genus Iris.
And I have thought about backcrossing to vesper iris. This is the only plant in the iris genus that, for me, can sprout in the spring and bloom by fall. Annual iris. But they are perennial also, at least in mild winters here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here