Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clues to superior grape seedlings?

Posted by boizeau 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 15:53

Wondered if there were any phenotypical 'clues' as to which seedling grapes are likely to be superior, by means of what the plants look like. I tend to favor the ones with larger leaves and shorter internodes, but are there any other reasonable 'clues' to take note of? I don't think that high vigor is always the best guide to a good selection, and certainly early budbreak is not a good feature in a region of late frosts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clues to superior grape seedlings?

• Posted by nick123 z4b / sunset 44 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 0:55

You didn't mention whih species you are breeding, however I have noticed that in labrusca seedlings (they grow wild here), the thicker the cambium layer, the better the yield. Short internodes are better. Late budbreaking is better, but not too late. Around the same time as when apples are blooming seems to be best.

Vigor isn't necessarily a good thing, however I have noticed that the plants that are sturdy enough to be able to support themselves somewhat do much better than the ones that are extremely flexible. What I mean is: the plant may grow straight up or at a slight angle for the first 2 ft or so before curving downward under its own weight. The wild ones growing like his will hit the ground several feet away and take root. They do MUCH better, survive better, make better fruit, etc., than the ones that trail like a limp rope.

I haven't seen much correlation between leaf size and berry size.

Good luck.

o
RE: clues to superior grape seedlings?

I agree that leaf size and berry size do not correspond. My largest leaf is on vitis Coignetiae, which can have tiny fruit and clusters as a species, though I've found a hybrid 'I think' of V. Coignetiae with clusters about like Leon Millot, and they taste pretty good, so Ive grown out a few seedlings of that one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here