Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need lowdown on Iris hybridizing.

Posted by dahlia_guy Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 04 at 21:58

I want to try to cross two plants this summer, both belonging to the family Iridaceae. One of the plants blooms about a month before the other so I will need to store some pollen. Questions:

1. How do I collect and store pollen from an Iris?

2. Will the outcome of the hybrid plant be effected by which plant I use for the pollen parent and which one I use for the pod parent? If so, what characteristics are passed on by which parent? (example: flower influence is passed from pollen parent and foliage influence is passed from pod parent)

3. How can I know if the cross will take. While both plants from the family Iridaceae they are not from the same genus.

4. What else do I need to know for my first attempt at crossing Iris relatives?

Thanks in advance!!!

Travis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need lowdown on Iris hybridizing.

1. I assume Iris pollen should behave like lily and one can take some fresh anthers, air dry them (film canisters work well), seal it and freeze it. Let the canister warm before opening it to prevent condensation on the pollen.

2. Experience only tells.

3. Read up if others tried it, but probably you will find little in the literature. Try it.

4. When making very wide crosses repeated pollinations over days helps and making crosses using various cultivars / genotypes can increase finding a combo that is more compatible.

o
RE: Need lowdown on Iris hybridizing.

Iris pollen can indeed be dried and frozen and remain viable for a couple of years. If not frozen, it is still good for a while. Iris breeders have successfully mailed pollen around and shared it. Works fine.
I expect this would also work for otehr plants in the family.
Walter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here