Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I do this???

Posted by cindy1978 2 (I think) (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 23:20

I am trying to plan my garden layout and some sites say not to plant pumpkins and watermelon's in the same area is this true? I also have corn, is there some way to have one garden with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I do this???

Your pumpkins and watermelons will not cross with each other, if that is what you are worried about.

o

So is corn ok too?

o

Cindy

It's important for the pollen from the corn tassels to fall onto the silks of the ears to pollinate the corn. So, instead of one long row of corn, plant it in several short rows together so that a corn patch is formed that is more or less square. That gets your corn plants closer to each other so that each ear of silks has a lot of tassels in its general vicinity. Wind and gravity spread the corn pollen.

If you want to help, you could take a pollen laden tassel and "spank" the silks on several of the ears. Or you could leave the tassel intact and apply individual "pieces" of pollen to the silks.

ZM

o

Plant the corn 3 sisters style . Plant 6 seeds to a hill; hills six feet apart in each direction . Let the pumpkins and watermelons grow on the ground between the hills . You can also let pole beans climb the corn stalks instead of poles .

o

Thank you for all the great help, I will let you know how everything turns out, for now I have to wait for the weather to let me plant outside. Its snowed again this morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here