Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cris_gw

coreopsis hybridizing

cris
20 years ago

I'm cross posting this in the Pro topics just so more people see this question. This is a werid question which was sparked with a discussion I'm having over in the New England Forum. Limerock Ruby Coreopsis is of unknown parentage. It has the foliage of Coreopsis verticillata and is most likely a chance seedling of C. verticallata. A poster in this dicussion says that Limerock Ruby vanished over the winter (which seems to be widespread in New England this year) but Coreopsis grandiflora 'Early Sunrise' is in the "exact same" places as the Limerock Ruby were the summer prior to. She thought that Limerock Ruby reverted back to a possible parent which made me say a huge HUH?? I suggested earlier that maybe 'Early Sunrise' volunteered in those places and she seemed pretty adamant that wasn't the case and nothing has the opportunity to reseed in her landscape

So, my question is,(after finding nothing on the web to say either way) is it possible for C. grandiflora hybridize with C. verticillata and produce viable seed? My gut feeling says no....but, it's just a gut feeling.

Thanks in advance....

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x