Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coreopsis hybridizing

Posted by Cris 6b RI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 11:10

I'm cross posting this in the Pro topics just so more people see this question. This is a werid question which was sparked with a discussion I'm having over in the New England Forum. Limerock Ruby Coreopsis is of unknown parentage. It has the foliage of Coreopsis verticillata and is most likely a chance seedling of C. verticallata. A poster in this dicussion says that Limerock Ruby vanished over the winter (which seems to be widespread in New England this year) but Coreopsis grandiflora 'Early Sunrise' is in the "exact same" places as the Limerock Ruby were the summer prior to. She thought that Limerock Ruby reverted back to a possible parent which made me say a huge HUH?? I suggested earlier that maybe 'Early Sunrise' volunteered in those places and she seemed pretty adamant that wasn't the case and nothing has the opportunity to reseed in her landscape
So, my question is,(after finding nothing on the web to say either way) is it possible for C. grandiflora hybridize with C. verticillata and produce viable seed? My gut feeling says no....but, it's just a gut feeling.

Thanks in advance....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coreopsis hybridizing

They can probally hybridize I Produced some C. Lancolata X C. Grandiflora "Sunray".

o
RE: coreopsis hybridizing

I see no reason why they could not produce viable seed, but that isn't the reason the 'Limerock Ruby' is missing.
It's because 'Limerock Ruby' is hardy to only USDA hardiness zones 7-10, and therefore is not hardy in your climate. The producer of the plant originally marketed the plant as being hardy to zone 5, but after one winter out on the market all plants in zones 5 and 6 died.
The problem occurred because a greenhouse in MI, that was paid to test the plant, kept the plants in a climate-controlled greenhouse all winter, and not out in a field where they would have been affected by the elements.
The nursery that I manage wintered-over 100 starter plants in one gallon containers, and all of them died.

-Jay

o
RE: limerock ruby coreopsis

My own theory:
The supposed 'Limerock Ruby' plant I bought and grew (and loved) last year looked EXACTLY like dwarf red plains coreopsis (Coreopsis tinctoria red), as did the entire stock of it where I purchased it. They did not look at all like the pictures or descriptions I've seen in other catalogs of LR.
If it was indeed that, that species is a native annual, which easily explains why the plant did not come back. However I don't see any seedlings either.

My similar-structured 'Sweet Dreams' plant came back quadrupled in size. Just huge. It is right next to where the LR used to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of C. tinctoria red (at bottom of page)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here