Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberian_husky

Japanese Maple

Cyberian_Husky
18 years ago

I'm just wondering...if I cross bred a laceleaf Japanese maple from a warmer zone, to a Korean maple that is hardy to my own zone, would the Japanese maple survive? All I'm saying is, if I took part of a plant that isn't hardy inn our zone and grafted onto something that is, would the part that I grafted in survive? The reason I ask is because Japanese maple likes a temperate zone 8 or 9, but I think Korean can handle 3b right? Or if I used some other maple even.... so would the root system from one be able to strenthen the japanese maple, or would the top grafted maple die from the cold and the bottom stay alive? I know it's weird but I'd like to know.

Comments (4)

• joan_m
    18 years ago

I donÂt know anything about maples, but if you graft a tender variety of rose on a hardy rootstock, the tender variety will still die if it gets exposed to cold temperatures. IÂm not aware of any research showing that a hardy rootstock increases (slightly) the cold resistance of tender roses, although I suppose it could be possible.

• keking
    18 years ago

I have read that Rosa canina can increase the hardiness of other roses grafted to it. Apparently a slight incompatibility inhibits the flow of carbohydrates to the roots. The sugars are supposed to act as antifreeze, more or less.

One great advantage a rootstock can bring is to force the scion into earlier dormancy so it avoids early frosts. Most winterkill occurs in early winter rather than late. The trick is to find a stock that is both compatible and able to initiate dormancy. Roses are pretty easy. I don't know about maples.

• joan_m
    18 years ago

Karl--do you have that article on R. canina on your website? I'd love to read it. I already have R. canina...

Joan

• keking
    18 years ago

Joan,

I finally found the article. It's 'Stock-Scion Relationships in Roses' by Griffith Buck (American Rose Annual, 1964). Here's the quotation.

"In the imperfect graft union or the semi-incompatible stock-scion combination, the movement of nutrients within the plant is impeded -producing, usually a dwarfed plant which may or may not flower freely. The dwarfing effect limits the general vigor and vegetative growth of both stock and scion. In a few cases, the early growth of certain stock-scion combinations is typical of the semi-compatible union due to slow regeneration of the tissue systems in the graft union but, with increasing age, this dwarfing effect tends to disappear. This is evident in some of the canina-type understock-scion combinations. It is quite possible that the reputation for superior hardiness which the canina-type understock is supposed to transmit to the scion variety is due chiefly to the lack of complete compatibility between stock and scion with its effect on increasing the starch content of the stems leading to their greater maturity and thus hardiness."

Karl