Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can any of these vegetables cross?

Posted by treeguy123 AL 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 20:14

Can any of these vegetables cross? I would be most happy if all of them would stay the same for next years garden, in other words I don't want any hybrids next year.

Moon and Stars Watermelon

Birdhouse Gourd

Cantaloupe (Cucumis melo) World record variety

Yellow straightneck squash

Pumpkin 'Jack O'Lantern'

Parsley 'Moss Curled'

Spinach 'Melody Hybrid'

Cherokee Wax Bean (Yellow Bush)

Kentucky Wonder Pole Bean

Blue Lake #274 Bush Garden Bean

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can any of these vegetables cross?

I found the answers in another post.
The Bean crosses would be rare.
But the squash and the pumpkin can cross easy.
The others can't cross.

o

If I am not mistaken the gourd can also cross with the squash and pumpkin and probably the watermelon.
James

o

no the watermelon will not cross with anything . The beans can cross with each other but they are inbreeders so it would be uncommon. Ornamental gourds will crossbred with pumpkins and squash . but I do not think bird house crosses with summer squash , Maybe winter squash though. and the squash and pumpkin can cross breed .

o

Can a mustard seed be cross with any other seed?

o

grhrtn, mustard is in the large Brassica family. I don't know what it will easily cross with, but the family includes broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, radish, and cabbage.

It won't breed easily, but there is even an effort at the University of Idaho to cross mustard with canola to get mustard's good growing characteristics with a higher quality oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encyclopedia: Mustard

o

As far as pumpkins and squash this is a site that I found when wondering what I can cross some Atlantic Giants with. They are C.Maxima, but as you can see at the end of the report it shows the species and cultivar. I am not a geneticist, but I believe you can cross plants in the same species. So take a look and see. Look to the end of the article as it is a bit drawn out for your purposes.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/cgc_reports/squash95.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: squash report

o

Cultivated beans can self-pollinate, but will cross if given the chance. If we raise only one strain, the crossing isn't apparent.
W J Beal raised crossed wax beans back in 1879, and noted their superiority over uncrossed plants.
http://www.bulbnrose.org/Heredity/Beal1879.html
Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: CybeRose & Bulbs

o

Here's an interesting article describing which cukes, squash, melons, pumpkins etc. can and cannot cross.

http://www.walterreeves.com/food-gardening/squashpumpkincucumberwatermelon-pollination-explanation/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here