Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help? I'd like to cross my peonies...

Posted by delftfairy z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 22:21

Does anyone do this? I have questions. :o(

Frustrated in Ontario,
Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help? I'd like to cross my peonies...

I've done this, but since I started five years ago only a few of my crosses have flowered. Maybe I can help you on the way, just post any qustions you have here, and I'll try to answer :-)

Hybridizing is fun, but with peonies, unlike most perennials, it takes around 6 years before you see the results, so you need lots of patience. You probably already know the basics, but this page (about Clematis-hybridizing) may be helpful anyway: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bcollingwood/hybrid.htm Make sure you keep records of all the crosses you attempt.

Make a breeding plan, and build a collection of cultivars (and species) too use when hybridizing. The breeding plan contain your goals, what you want your peony-hybrids to look like.

Here are some desirable qualities you might want to include in your breeding plan:

-Strong stems (many peonies flop in bad weather)
-Good, long-lasting floral display, upfacing or outfacing flowers, several flowers on each stem.
-Disease resistance
-Heat, drought or wet-tolerance
-Fragrance
-Unusual colors/picoteeing/veining/freckling

Also decide what kind of flowers you want, if you want them single or double etc. Your collection of already named cultivars and species should reflect your breeding goals, and it should contain a wide variety of different peonies. (By different I mean in structre of flower, colors, heights etc., not only in name.)

Since there already are lots and lots of great cultivars, it would be better if you choose to hybridize towards something different. Most of the common cultivars on the market today were breed for the cut-flower industry, thus they are quite tall with a single flower on each stem. Most also have double flowers in pink or white shades.

Try hybridizing for veining (like in Paeonia X chamaeleon), unusual colors (black/coral/yellow), low height, dissected foliage (use anomala/tenuifolia etc.), coloured foliage (glaucous like mlokosewitschii or dark red like some of the lactiflora-cvs.)

www.paeo.de and www.helpmefind.com/peony/ are great pages when hybridizing, both include lineage of the cultivars, and can be very helpful when choosing parent plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here