Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato & tomato, toxicity issues?

Posted by poultryguy 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 2:50

Hello everyone,
After some peculiar thoughts from the day, and, doing some googling I just had to ask...

I've been pulling Solanum carolinense (horse nettle) from around my tomatos and eggplants for the last several weeks. Some of the horse nettle growing just outside the garden area are now in bloom. Are there any known instances of S. carolinense hybridizing with any of the cultivated Solanums or Lycopersicoides?

Granted, the addition of spines would not be welcomed... although, creating a perennial tomato with disease resistance to local pathogens would be stellar.

I also wondered about the toxicity of S. carolinense being transferred in to the tomato genome. How would one test for this without causing himself undue harm? This also came to mind years ago when I had heard mention of eating the "tomatos" produced by some potato plants after they'd flowered. It seemed pretty un-nerving to think of eating the fruit produced by a potato, I was always told it was toxic so saw no point in "taste testing" for myself.

Anyone privvy to Solanum hybrids and the results?

Regards,
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato & tomato, toxicity issues?

Eggplant , pepper, tomato,tomatillo, tamerillo ,potato Japanees lanterns , pooha berries, are all related but can not cross breed . You do not eat the potato fruit that grows on the top of the potato plant, you wait till they are ripe the put them in a blender then separate the seeds then plant the seeds for new varieties .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here