Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
two plants in one

Posted by keloel none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 9:43

Hello,
I am going to visit a friend today who sent me a picture of a plant that started off its life as an arborvitae but then became what looks like a blue spruce. The bottom of the plant has all of the features of a typical arborvitae used in hedging (here in RI) but the top of the plant is different. It has all of the features of a blue spruce. I am going to photograph it and post it here but was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? I don't know yet if it's one plant growing straight through the stem of another or if it could be some kind seed/gene mix up? Any ideas?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: two plants in one

Here is one picture of the plant I am referencing in 7/24 post. The right hand side of the plant makes up 80% of the plant. The left hand side of the plant makes up the remaining 20%. The left hand side is one entire branch that is growing out of the main stem of the arborvitae (or dwarf pine?). It is NOT a separate stem with roots. Here the difference needles are visible.


 o
RE: two plants in one

still trying to upload pic


 o
RE: two plants in one

Here it is from a distance.


 o
RE: two plants in one

I am pretty sure what you have in NOT an arborvitae. It looks like the plant on the right is a dwarf Alberta Spruce. The plant on the left also looks like a type of spruce. Sometimes plants do produce what are called "sports". This just happens spontaneously. But it is very cool. Arborvitae don't produce needles. Their leaves are flattened and somewhat scale like. Hope this helps.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here