Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trading Pollen...How is it done?

Posted by KayLakeMan z5 ONT (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 11:12

I posted, in an exchange forum, a request for advice or real life experiences with the best way to trade (by mail) pollen from Daylilies, lilies and roses.

Then I thought that this forum may be a better place to get that feedback.

Any thoughts or advice on mailing pollen? (other than be sure to mark it so someone doesn't think it's a biohazard)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trading Pollen...How is it done?

I have had good luck with Amaryllis pollen wrapped in paper. This works well enough for quick delivery. A few days in the mail doesn't seem to harm the pollen, and the paper keeps it dry.

And one time I received poppy pollen in a plastic film canister. I used some of the pollen last year and the rest is in the freezer for the next time I need it.

Karl

o

Thanks Karl.

I'm thinking that anyway that the pollen doesn't get flying all over the place and getting mixed up if there is more than one kind is a good thing

o

Using a dark colored tissue paper and putting it in an envelope works pretty well.

o

Thanks Kristinas
Had a successful mail trade last year which expanded my hybridizing possibilities.
The dark tissue is interesting as it would serve as a good backdrop for the pollen colour.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here