Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coralea2

when is pollen too old?

Cora Lea
22 years ago

I hope someone can help me out here. I have been crossing daylilies this year again, and have just been too busy with other things to freeze the collected pollen. I have been collecting and bringing into the house, which has been kept at a temp of between 72 and 76 since July 6. Is the earlier pollen still good?

When freezing pollen to save for later use, how old (or new) should the pollen be to be fairly sure it is viable?

Thanks so much for educating me a bit. I have tried to find the answer on the internet and in books with no luck.

Comments (5)

• tom_wagner
    22 years ago

Cora,

I went to Google.com advanced version to type (pollen storage) in the exact phrase, and typed in hemerocallis in the any word line. I located 5 sites and I am including the link to a good source of info. I included some of the info which you and others may want from that site. It takes many hours of practice to be truly adept with search engines and I am more than happy to help anyone do research searches.

Tom of Bakersfield, who is mostly self taught in pollen storage studies.

http://www.northstardaylilies.com/pages/goodies.htm

This site includes this info:

Pollen Storage Containers

Pollen can be dried and frozen and used for hybridizing up to a year later. If you have pollen on hand from choice cultivars, potential crosses and hybridizing potential is vastly expanded. Centrifuge tubes, 1.5 milliliter, are excellent for storing pollen. We offer centrifuge tubes in colors, and two sizes of boxes which also come in colors. We suggest a color coded system for pollen storage. For example, one color box could be for diploids and another color box for tetraploids. A bright color makes them easily visible in the garden. Colored centrifuge tubes, like blue or green, can make it easier to see if pollen (which is usually yellow) is available. We recommend the 100 tube pollen storage container.

Centrifuge Tubes.

These are 1.5 ml. pop-tops made of polypropylene. They have a frosted area on the top and side for writing a cultivar name or code. The colors available are natural, blue, and green.

• bellsrus_dwx_com
    22 years ago

Hi, Tom.

Thank you for your efforts, but I believe you must have misunderstood my question. I'm not looking for storage containers, but need to know if the pollen which I have not yet frozen is still viable. I need to know how long pollen which has been exposed to air under the above-mentioned conditions stays "fresh".

If you can find that information for me in a search, you will be finding something I was not able to find.

I'm guessing the best answer may be the result of personal experience from fellow hybridizers here at the GW forums.
    Anyone care to share your experiences?

Thanks!

• tom_wagner
    22 years ago

Cora,

Your question:
    ..but need to know if the pollen which I have not yet frozen is still viable. I need to know how long pollen which has been exposed to air under the above-mentioned conditions stays "fresh".

If you can find that information for me in a search, you will be finding something I was not able to find.

Sorry, but I forgot to add that info. Daylillies are not called Daylillies for nothing. The pollen has a hormone that allows/limits the fresh pollen to last for about a day and a 1/2. So after drying the anthers overnight under a lamp about 8" above them, you must use them, freeze them, or discard them.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• bellsrus_dwx_com
    22 years ago

Thanks, Tom.

I thought daylilies were only called daylilies because that was how long each bloom lasted. I had no idea it also was related to the viability or life of the pollen.

I've had a couple people who hybridize daylilies tell me you can leave it out for "several days", but haven't told me how long "several days" IS! I would guess with that kind of comment they have evidently been quite lucky to have things hybridize - or maybe had a little help from the bees. I don't know what their method for pollenating is. Have YOU ever tried using pollen that was older? I keep thinking of the stories of pollen, etc., found in the ancient pyramids still being viable, and wonder about the whole circle of life thing.

So, I guess its time to dump the pollen? Drats!

• bruceNH
    21 years ago

Pollen dried and stored should be good for sometime. What is there to make it go bad?

I have been collecting hellebore pollen and drying the pollen for a couple of days just in a warm dry place. I collect the pollen on squares of wax paper. After drying I fold the wax paper into an envelope, label it, place in a zip lock plastic bag and store in the fridge crisper. I hope to store the pollen until April.

Bruce