Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
F2 Echinacea

Posted by Chlorofeeler 7a Vancouver (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 03 at 13:51

How do you get an F2 generation from Echinacea plants given there self-incompatibility?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: F2 Echinacea

Once again, I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that there may be enough variation among F1 seedlings to do some sibling crosses. Otherwise you may have to do a backcross, then sibs. Anyone out there with experience in Echinacea?

o
RE: F2 Echinacea

I haven't worked with Echinacea, but have worked with other composites (mums....). Sometimes you can get what's called pseudo self-compatibility. You can sometimes get a self. As one finds individuals that self to some degree, you can eventually get selfed offspring that are more prone to setting selfed seeds (if inbreeding depression doesn't do them in). In mums we have been able to inbreeding and selection which has really helped to weed out deleterious recessives. The inbreds are outcrossed and the average performance of the offspring is improved relative to just crossing highly heterozygous individuals. Like Agrinerd mentioned you can do sib matings and hopefully through this less drastic form of inbreeding begin to fix traits of interest. What is your goal?

Sincerely,
David

P.S. Check out the Echinacea breeding happening at the Chicago Botanical Gardens on line. Amazing!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here