Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant patent vs utility patent - daylilies ??

Posted by sharrison Louisiana (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 02 at 14:32

I am interested in starting a hobby daylily breeding project. My question is whether or not daylilies are protected by utility patents (that prevent use a parents in hybridization) or just by plant patents that prevent asexual propagation for sale.

thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant patent vs utility patent - daylilies ??

Most daylilies are not patented. There are a few that are protected by plant patents that prevent asexual propagation. I am not familiar with utility patents and have never heard the term used in connection with daylilies.
gail

o

Look to see if there is a plant patent number P.P. or if there is some clue to a utility patent. For instance on the My Favorite series of chrysanthemums in the teal pots that came out there is information on the tag about patent applied for and sexual and asexual propagation is prohibited. The breeder applied for both a plant patent (because it is faster and the plants are protected to sell) and a utility patent that is taking longer to go through the chain of events to protect him for having a competitor from taking these novel mums and in just one generation get a mimic cultivar. Utility patents are so expensive and challenging that most breeders just get plant patents, but there is a trend for more and more utility patents, especially by large propagators that want to secure a part of the market for a group of plants having a novel trait.

Sincerely,
David

o

mums and hostas are among the plants that are most commonly pantented and, according to a friend who's into hostas with more than 300 varieties - it's a wink-your-head joke.
he pays $100 or more for a small seedling and dutifully agrees to not reproduce the plant ----- yeah, right!!!!!
i like daylilies and there is little of the hypocracy. you buy it and you do what you want with it.
Tim

o

Tim: I'm also considering dabbling in Daylilies. Assuming I have created something worthy - I understand the registration process but then what? I could grow and sell my own or contract with a grower but is that the extent of the income stream unless I go for a plant patent?

Thanks, Gaye

o

The real money comes from patenting and selling the patent outright or contracting with a large grower and recieve agreed upon royalty for each plant propagated.

Most small time folk would probably opt for the outright sale of the patent because tracking production could be daunting.

Sam

o
RE: plant patent -

Plant Patenting is not that expensive ($1,800 to $2,500 per cultivar). What is very, very expensive is enforcing the patent. This can cost from a few hundred thousand dollars to several millions. The only alternative for a small grower or hibrydizer is to look for an Insurance company that will ensure his/her patent. Royalties sounds nice but are very difficult to control and big Nursery growers will only pay a ridiculus small amount for royalties. If you are lucky.

Patrice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here