Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm new. Any Tech's & Possibilities

Posted by Renott South East Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 22:43

So, I have been wanting to try cross pollination ever since I read about it when I was little, well littler. It was not my main goal when I purchased plants this year to look for possible hybrid candidates. That's probably because I don't know how I would go about it. I can always buy more plants from my local greenhouse (they have a surprisingly large selection for Ohio) if you have suggestions. If you have a suggestion for me I would also love a way to actually breed them.
I currently have these plants.
Pineapple Sage
Pickling Cucumbers
'Super' Tomatoes - the nursery bred them for extra lycopene.
Small oblong shaped red and purple ornamental peppers (I forget the name)
Lemon and Peppermint Scented Geraniums (Scientific names not available, sorry) One is about 16-18" tall, stem slightly red with lots of close together clustered leaves (lemon) and an all green outward vining extremely soft leaved peppermint scented plant.
Basil
Stevia Rebaudiana
and a chocolate chip cookie plant (ajuva reptans) -- which has flowers that are about to wither and die according to the tag.
I have never posted here before. I'm hoping that this will be as helpful as I hope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm new. Any Tech's & Possibilities

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 20:54

Hi Renott,

I don't know that any of the things you list can be crossed with each other. Perhaps the scented Geraniums. I like to cross zinnias, because it is easy to do and there are a lot of different kinds that you can cross and they grow fast so you can see the results of your cross in a couple of months. I made a pitch for zinnias in the Colorful flower with seemingly endless phenotypes? message thread here in this forum.

There has been a lengthy series of zinnia growing and breeding messages over in the Annuals forum. You can read the current version at It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 16. The various parts of those message threads are connected head-to-head and tail-to-head by links, so you can navigate the complete group of messages without doing Searches.

If you have any questions about zinnia breeding as a hobby, don't hesitate to ask. The links I have provided here will take you to quite a bit of information.

ZM

o

There's a book "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe (ISBN - 1-890132-72-1) which I've found pretty helpful.

Think of the veg you're currently growing - then how you'd like them to be 'better' - and keep crossing and tossing until you've got what you're after.

It might help your project if you joined a seed saver community (local for pereference) so you can access open-pollinate seed - and people to talk with.

Just for starters, though, do some random crosses this year - and see what you get. It's all experience.

o

Thanks. I'm checking out the book now. I did try the chocolate chip plant and both the tomatoes and cucumber two of the cucumber blossoms fruited and I hope it worked. If I remember I will post what happened with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here