Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltatropicsguy

Oak Hybrid Questions

DeltaTropicsGuy
19 years ago

I live in Memphis, TN. I have 2 questions.

1st - Is it possible to hybridize oaks from 1 of the 3 oak groups (White oak, Red oak, Live oak) with an oak of a different group? For example a "White oak x Southern Red Oak" or a "Water oak x Live oak". Is that even remotely possible?

2nd question is - for any of you who know oaks well, can you tell me what sort of oak or oak hybrid this is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Oak

Comments (7)

• seagrapes
    19 years ago

Maybe Q. nigra X Q. laurifolia?

• Walter_Pickett
    19 years ago

Oikostrecrops.com has many hybrid oaks. Go there and see what they have. If they have it, it must be possible to cross. but just because they don'thave it, doesn't mean it can't be done. I think Oikos is just one man, and he can't do it all and still feed his family.
    They do have a hybrid or two that do include live oaks.
    Walter

• Soeur
    19 years ago

I'd be interested to know if oaks from the red/black group will cross with oaks from the white group. I've never seen it, myself. Maybe the difference in acorn maturation and germination needs are enough to make viable seed problematic. I have seen a coccinea-falcata cross, and stellata-alba crosses aren't uncommon around here -- all are "whites", of course.

Soeur

• Levente
    19 years ago

It is not possible to cross white oaks (Lepidobalanus) with black oaks (Erythrobalanus). On the other hand within these groups there are many possibilities on crossing, but not every theoretical hybrids can be made due to incompatibilities. On the "third hand", there is a member of the white oak family native to the US (can not recall its name) which can be involved roughly 10 different hybrids - and these are all described in the literature.

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

DTG,
    The crosses you've listed aren't possible, as each includes members of the two different groups, which cannot hybridize with one another, as Levente indicated.
    Couldn't access the photo, so I can't weigh in on a possible ID.

I've got a number of hybrid oaks & F2 hybrid seedlings in my collection - mostly from the white oak group, but a few from the red/black group. Some came from Ken at OIKOS, but others from fellow IOS members.

Soeur,
    Q.coccinea & Q.falcata are members of the red/black oak group, Q.stellata & Q.alba are members fo the white oak group.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Oak Society

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Besides Oikos there is the Mossy oak natives nursery. They have some red hybrid oaks and some white oak family oak hybrids. Live oaks aren't a 3rd family, they are white oak family oaks. So there are on;ly Red and White oaks.

• farmfreedom
    9 years ago

I believe there 1800 varieties of oaks and they should all be able to crossbreed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH