Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherjenn

Basic Hybridizing Info?

heatherjenn
15 years ago

I'm pretty new to gardening, and the idea of hybridizing and creating new species of plants fascinates me! Can someone recommend a good place (either website or book) that will teach me the basics of plant biology, reproduction and genetics ect?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• agent1xe13
    15 years ago

Hi,

I don't know about books, but there are many web sites that deal with hybridizing plants. Most deal with very specific genera, not hybridizing in general. So it would help knowing what you intend to try your hand at to start with.

The basic step is very simple: put some pollen (male part) on the stigma (female part) of the plant. That being said, the anatomy of a plant can be very different depending on the genus: in some genera, there are male plants and female plants while on most, the 2 reproductive organs can be found on the same plant.

Sometimes, what appears to be a flower in not, it is rather made of several flowers that look like a single bloom. On others, the flower seems to be very big because of its colored bracts, but the flower itself is very tiny.

In some genera, species can be crossed easily (interspecific) while in others, it is harder. In yet other cases, crosses can easily be made between different genera (intergeneric).

Then you have the seeds you have to wait for until they rippen. Some will germinate very easily, other are very hard to germinate like peonies. Some will bloom very fast after sowing, others will take years before they do.

You say you are new to gardening, so I suppose that you have never taken care of plants either indoors or outdoors. A good way to start would be with african violets: they are indoor plants and can be grown year round, they are small and take less room and less care than many other more demanding plants, sexual parts are easily identified, and you wont have to wait years to see the results of your work when you make a cross between 2 plants.

Sounds hard? Don't worry, it seems worst than it really is. Hope this helps a bit, but I'm not sure... Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of hybridizing.

Laurier
    My web site

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Heatherjenn
    Being in Florida there are several Excellent Dayily hybridizers in your state.Hybridizing is a numbers
    game.I hybridize two genus Hemerocallis(daylily)
    and Salvia.Daylilies you have to grow several thousand
    to get one plant that meets "something different" you
    have to also know if you have a diploid or tetraploid
    dips hybridize with dips Tets w/tets some plants are good
    pod parents while others are good pollin some are both.
    Salvias are much easier in same species interspecies is
    more difficult. lots of Daylily wedsites will tell you
    pod fertile etc..The American Hemerocallis society has
    a registration process you need to go through.Some of the hybridizers will show you the plants they used and the end result too. Reguardless Have fun !

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I found a good start of information in 'Breeding Ornamental Plants' by Dorothy J. Callaway. I ran across it at my local library and found it interesting enough that I'd like to buy a copy for my own library.

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

Try Carol Deppe's books "breeding your own vegetables" and the other one for farmers . also any books on "plant breeding " at your local library . for breeding stock check kent whealy's book . This should get you started . We need new dreamer doers , so good luck !!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio