Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hubridizing rights

Posted by johns42 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 8:52

If I purchase seeds of a crossed plant, do I own the rights to it, Can I register the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hubridizing rights

Hi, John,

The seeds of a crossed plant will not come true. However, if you got something unusual, you might own the rights to it. I'm not sure what you mean by "register the plant".

ZM

o

The answers is no. I'm assuming you are talking about a F1 hybrid that someone already has the right to.

Read the first and second paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_breeders'_rights
"...rights granted to the breeder of a new variety of plant.."
"...a variety must be new, distinct, uniform and stable."
"A variety is stable if the plant characteristics are genetically fixed and therefore remain the same from generation to generation, or after a cycle of reproduction in the case of hybrid varieties. "

o

Depends on what is meant by "crossed plant".

Also depends on whether the plant is an annual and produced only by seeds or a perennial (or some annuals) that can be produced by seeds or vegetatively.

And may depend partly on whether the seedlings are different enough from the parent to not be considered "essentially derived varieties".

Can you please provide more detailed information about the crossed plant.

o

I agree with Joe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here