Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trademarked plant names

Posted by jacqueinthegorge USDA 7a / Sunset 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 14:04

Hi folks, not sure this is the right forum, but it looks close!

Can the same hybrid have more than one trademarked name?

For instance, I have a hybrid Hydrangea, Shooting Star, but when I look at photos, it looks just like Hydrangea Fireworks, and at least one web site says they are the same. How does that happen?

I am growing two Fuchsias that look exactly the same to me. One is called Blacky, the other is called Roho's King.

And I have some Dahlias where the same situation seems to apply. Darned if I can see the difference between Wink and another (whose name escapes me right this second, and the plants are not available for me to check the labels).

My guess is that more than one licensed propagator is selling each plant, but I'm wondering why they would sell them under different names.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trademarked plant names

Hi jacqueinthegorge,

I haven't noticed any duplicated Trademarks, but I suppose it is legal. I would imagine that this kind of duplication would not occur with Plant Patents. I have noticed that seed companies can call the same cultivar by different names, although TMs are not involved.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here