Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato/Pepper Hybrid?

Posted by Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 03 at 14:11

A thread was initiated in the Tomato Forum ( link below to the most pertinent and only reference with a picture), on the so called first such hybrid.

I remain very skeptical and ask for comment.

I know peppers and tomatoes cannot cross pollinate.

I know that tomato/potato and reciprocal grafts can be and have been done and I think I actually remember an eggplant/potato or eggplant/tomato graft once being reported.

But I've never read or heard of a tomato/pepper graft.

As you'll see from the below link, "growers" are apparently supplying them with these so called hybrids and another link in the same post specifies a grower, not by name, in Michigan.

I know of a tomato variety called Red Cup, which is a hollow stuffing tomato and I seem to recall it's also been called Red Bell Pepper tomato in the past.

If they refer to these fruits as hybrids then I'm not so much thinking grafts.

But I'm not as up to date on somatic cell hybridization as perhaps I should be, so I invite all comments, please.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato/Pepper Hybrid?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato/Pepper Hybrid?

Carolyn,
I've never heard or read of any hybridization between pepper and tomato either. And considering how stubborn either of these two are in crosses within its own genus, I'd seriously doubt that those fruits are from such a hybrid. Like you mention, I guess a somatic hybridization could be possible. But even so, I've never heard or seen mention of any somatic hybridizations (of pepper with tomato) that have been produced. And I have browsed through a lot of pepper and tomato related journals and/or newsletters. The picture at your link looks like its just a squat red pepper. Maybe the "hybrid" reference is referring to the taste only, and not the parentage. Let us know if you find out otherwise.

o

I think it's just marketing.

Had they done genetic engineering and transfered genes they'd have press releases everywhere - then again in today's anti-GM they might not.

I think it's just a pepper that looks like a tomato and if one holds their mouth right while standing on one foot with their back to a south wind they MIGHT get a hint of tomato (provided the moon is blue).

I've yet to taste citrus in any tomatoes as some claim. Acid yes, citrus no.

Ive always wanted to go the other way - add heat from peppers into tomatoes. I have heard reports of people claiming this via root grafts but never verified.

Keith

o

now maybe it's a bell peper or tomato that's looks and tastes like something else... I mean, I've been growing this very hollow tomato vareity (it started out as a hybrid from an heirloom type, which one I forgot) and it's sort of reminds me of a bell pepper.

I really hate the taste of raw tamotes. I eat tons of it, being Mexican, It's part of my diet. But I won't it raw. I do hope that someday there can be a tomato with the taste of a mildly hot bell pepper like Poblano.

o

• Posted by ofpill 5a - Ottawa (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 18:01

Looks like a bell pepper to me!

o

Yes there is a hybrid..don't ask me how it happened, I just grew one this year. I was puzzled to say the least. I have photos if you'd like to see them.

thanks,

bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here