EmM_GarMa
21 years ago

How long can pollen stay alive?

Comments (6)

• marbree
    21 years ago

Hi

Here's a similiar question.

Here is a link that might be useful: When is pollen too old? from the daylily forum

• Rosa
    21 years ago

This is really going to depend on the specific genus as well as collection and storage. Some orchid pollen will keep a year.

• Absent
    21 years ago

I've stored pollen from some plants - most wind pollenated stuff by wrapping it first in paper, then in foil and then sticking it in the freezer. seems to keep OK for up to 1 year. I've stored lophophora ( a cactus ) pollen but I used a liq nitrogen bank at work for that which probably doesn't help.
    absent

• daffodilhunter
    21 years ago

If I try to keep daffodil pollen, I put it in those empty gelatin capsules you can get at a pharmacy....they come 100 to a box in different sizes...but small so no extra moisture gets in there. Then I put those in some little plastic bottle or a film canister in the freezer. Not sure it wouldn't keep in the fridge side?

Hardly ever save it any more since I forget to use it, get too busy or something.

A friend of mine who is a very noted daffodil hybridizer (obviously he doesn't get distracted) says that "if it looks like it's still good, it probably is so just use it."
    They say daffodil pollen is usually good for a year, and he's right...you just have to look at it and decide if you think it kept.

I do have some daffodil seedlings finally blooming (it takes 'em 5-7 years) so some of it was still good...Sandra

• Sparaxis
    21 years ago

I put some pacific coast iris pollen on the windowsill in the kitchen, and promptly forgot about it. Several weeks later (about 6), I had bloom on iris chrysographes, and wished i had some PCI pollen to try. I suddenly remembered the saved pollen, removed the anthers from the unopened bud, and daubed it with PCI pollen. I have a fat pod now, and it certainly isn't a bee pod, because it is in my shade house - no bees.
    My PCI pollen was dry and dusty.
    Cheers, Jan

• bruceNH
    21 years ago

Pollen dried and stored should be good for sometime. What is there to make it go bad?
    I have been collecting hellebore pollen and drying the pollen for a couple of days just in a warm dry place. I collect the pollen on squares of wax paper. After drying I fold the wax paper into an envelope, label it, place in a zip lock plastic bag and store in the fridge crisper. I hope to store the pollen until April.

Bruce

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer