Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ENORMOUS cherry tomato

Posted by lylehale none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 16:41

Well then, how about this one. I had a unknown variety of tomato I had seed saved for 2 seasons. It was a volunteer when I decided to grow it next season. It grew short 4 feet tall both years and had small baseball sized irregularshaped pink fruit. It set easy and had clusters of 7 flowers. I looked forward to growing it this year and when it grew out I was shocked to find these. now I got these, and the plant is 7' tall with over 60 set fruit. I was racking my brain as to what happened and I had a cherry last season 15 feet away. I am thinking the 7ft is hybrid vigor. They are structured inside like a cherry. They almost remind me of a campari. I dunno but they taste GREAT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ENORMOUS cherry tomato

Not sure where you are zone wise, but if you're in love with the tomato, it might be worth taking a cutting before it gets cold and overwintering indoors and then plant out clones of that plant in the springtime.

Save as much seed as you can and grow as many as you can next year. Maybe try crossing the f2 with with f1 parent clone. Keep saving seed and selecting for similarity to the original parent. You may end up with a 'stabilized' version of the original parent after a few generations of breeding.

o
RE: ENORMOUS cherry tomato

"They are structured inside like a cherry."

Can you elaborate on this? What are the traits of a cherry tomato? I'm trying to understand the differences between cherry and non cherry tomatoes.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here